Menu
hades8840
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

how do i stop scam caller

Hi Is there anyway for virgin media to stop me getting these I have had around 8 since yesterday always the same thing automated message claiming to be from my service provider over illegal activity on my internet...press 1 for this or 2 for that old scam but is no number when i dial 1471 and its becoming tiresome answering 

must be some way to stop these 

thankyou

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: how do i stop scam caller

Browse through the 'Security matters' and 'Home phone' VM forums and you will find lots of similar recent posts from the last few months, together with various possible solutions and workarounds.

0 Kudos
jacquiwhewell
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am fed up to the back teeth with a BT scam,calling at least 7 times a day starting at 7.30 am. I am not even with BT.All they say is they are cutting off my Internet.How do I stop this.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Morning @jacquiwhewell

Scam or fake calls seem  to be on the rise again don't they? I have had a few claiming to be from my Halifax, I'm don't even bank with them!

We have a few helpful links depending on the type of call you are getting and I'll list them below for you 🙂 

Unwanted or Nuisance Calls

Fraudulent calls

Number Spoofing (this is where the number looks to be real but is in fact a scam using a legitimate number)

Wangari (these are usually international numbers)

Hope that helps 🙂 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jacquiwhewell wrote:

I am fed up to the back teeth with a BT scam,calling at least 7 times a day starting at 7.30 am. I am not even with BT.All they say is they are cutting off my Internet.How do I stop this.

Consider getting a trueCall device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

or a BT phone which has trueCall features built in (look for this in the product description).

These screen the incoming calls and prevent the phone from ringing with scam calls.

0 Kudos
jacquiwhewell
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Katie,

I have done everything,been ex directory for 4 years,joined TPS 10 years ago.Now I let it go to voicemail and pick up if it is someone I want to talk to.Is this what I am paying for ???

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @jacquiwhewell,

Thanks for letting us know of the steps you have taken. I do apologise for this situation, it's obviously not ideal to be leaving your phone to ring out each and every time.

Going on from Katie's advice, there has also been some good suggestions made by our community in some previous threads as well which you may find useful.

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jacquiwhewell wrote:

Thank you Katie,

I have done everything,been ex directory for 4 years,joined TPS 10 years ago.Now I let it go to voicemail and pick up if it is someone I want to talk to.Is this what I am paying for ???

You are in the same boat as everyone else. Customers of ALL providers are getting these calls. It is no use providers blocking the numbers as the scammers simply clone legitimate ones belonging to the likes of you & me, or the innocent company down the road. The loophole is the very 150 year old technology phone system we are still clinging too. All calls will move to digital in 2025, when we will all be plugging our phones into the internet via our hubs, along with all the modern security tech that goes with it.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks