cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home phone switchover

jimc
Joining in

How do you ask for a technician visit? The VM 150 call does NOT help at all. It's not even an option anywhere.

My phone line incomer is nowhere near my my HUB and the Hub isn't moving.

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Someone may move your topic from 'Tech Chatter' to 'Home Phone' where it should get a VM reply. Then ...

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey jimc, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear you are struggling to get a tech.

I will send you a PM now so we can look into this for you.

Please look out for my message in your inbox. Cheers  

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Client62
Legend

Hub not moving, no problem, move the phone

Thank you for giving some advice Clinet62.

You just need to plug the phone into the back of the router and not the actual phone line. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jimc
Joining in

Thanks for all replies. I guess the incoming phone line is now becoming redundant? The router sits high above cupboards alongside Virgin hub - separate boxes! Having a phone atop cupboards in a data room isn't really viable. I am hoping that I can somehow run a telephone cable from the supplied hub adapter to an RJ11 (telephone socket) nearby (not an easy cable) route and connect to my master DECT telephone to it (and therefore the other 3 DECT connections). I now have a technician calling next month (hopefully).

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jimc 

Thanks for your response

Please keep us updated with how the tech visit goes as they look to have this resolved for you 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Matthew

A quick question before I start to run cables through my network. I now understand that a connection is required to the HUB which I presume is an RJ45 (ethernet) converter to RG11 (telephone). Can I run a CAT5e connection from the HUB to my study desk (about 5m) and terminate at a RJ45 terminal. The Virgin converter could then be connected to that ethernet RJ45 point and the phone connected locally to that converter. Theoretically I could use any ethernet connection in the house (fully cabled) so long as the router connection is plugged out of there and into the HUB. I have a couple of spare unused connections to the router that wouldn't  need much unplugging/re-plugging and I wouldn't need to run good old telephone cables around my data cabling network.

JIM

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jimc 

Thanks for your response 

As long as the phone is plugged into the back of the hub you're free to use the other ethernet ports to your own advantage 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

Note the Hub's TEL 1 phone socket is an RJ11 analogue telephone socket. 

If your DECT base unit also has an RJ11 phone socket, then an RJ11 to RJ11 cable of the required length can be used without any adaptors.