Menu
seb1951
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

home phone line loud hissing

Hi home phone line has a loud hissing noise.

Hard wired BT phone.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: home phone line loud hissing

Hi Seb1951,

Welcome to forums and thank you for your post, just to confirm is your landline with us or BT?

Thanks

Zoie

0 Kudos
seb1951
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoie

Yes it is the landline.

Thanks Roger

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey there Roger,

Can you describe in more detail about the hissing? Does it happen as soon as you pick up the handset and are you able to try a different handset so we can rule it out?

Apart from the hissing, are you still able to make and receive calls  and do you have a dial tone?

Also can you tell us whether your handset is plugged into a wall socket or to the back of the Hub?

Sorry for the questions, just want a clearer picture of the issue so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
seb1951
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa

The hissing is there as soon as you pick up the handset.

I have bought a new phone so we can rule that out, I have a dial tone and can make and receive calls, however the noise is there 

all the time in the background.

It is plugged into a wall socket.

Regards Roger

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seb1951, 

Thanks for coming back to us about that information, I am sorry that you've been having this hissing problem on your landline!

Its good to know that you can make/receive calls but I understand this strange noise must be frustrating. Lets hope there's no snake slithering in the line lol (sorry bad joke)

So what I'd like to do is have a look into your services, I'll need to send you a PM now so I can gather the info needed to find your account.

Please just look out for the purple envelope, once I've got an answer for your problem we'll come back onto the public post.

Speak soon!

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seb1951, 

thanks for chatting with me in our PM, the info you gave was all correct so I was able to find your services.

I've done a health check on your telephone line but it hasn't come back with any outstanding issues. 

So we'll move on to asking some diagnostic questions here on public. 

Can you please try rebooting the HUB at the switch on the back of the equipment and wait for a minute before turning it back on?

Because your landline is connected through your HUB this can sometimes help resolve issues.

Let me know if it helps.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
seb1951
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the delay Megan.

Sorted I had an extra line going to a printer/Fax which when removed cured the problem.

Thank you for your help.

However my voicemail will not pick up.

I spoke to someone from customer services who went through a checklist but could not solve the problem.

She said she would refer to a level 2 and they would call back, off course no one has.

Could you help please

Regards Roger

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey seb1951,

I can see on your account that you have call forwarding setup on your line, this means that the voicemail won't kick in because the call is being forwarded rather ringing out to the voicemail.

This means that you can only have one of the features on the line not both im afraid. 

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
seb1951
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: answer phone

Hi Steven

Well that was different from what I was told by one of the telephone advisors who have charged me extra to add the voicemail

when I already had call forwarding. I spoke to them because of this, as the phone kept ringing out and not forwarding as I had not set that up.

She said she would get someone from level 2 to call me back, of course no one has!!

I only require forwarding when I am overseas the rest of the time if I am not in the office I just require an answerphone. It seems the whole Virgin Phone system is not fit for purpose.

Regards Roger

0 Kudos