cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extension cable for phone to hub can i buy an rj11

Button3
Tuning in

Is it an rj11 phone  line extension I need to connect my phone to the connector that goes in the hub as i do not want to move my hub and the phone is in the sitting room . 

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Button3 wrote:

Is it an rj11 phone  line extension I need to connect my phone to the connector that goes in the hub as i do not want to move my hub and the phone is in the sitting room . 

Thanks

It is a RJ11 connector on the TEL1 phone socket on the hub.

If your query arises from a switchover process by VM to a 21CV phone-via-router connection from the back of the hub, then VM should offer to modify your phone wiring free of charge so your existing phone extension sockets still work in the same way. See the section

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

and the section 'Do I need to book a technician visit?'

virgin told me  if i want to extend the phone line to keep it in the sitting room they would not do this as they could move the hub  next to my phone but  I do not want this , so i thought if i bought an extension phone cable it could be plugged  into there adapter at  the back of hub then dropped under the floor and brought back next to my phone. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Button3 wrote:

virgin told me  if i want to extend the phone line to keep it in the sitting room they would not do this as they could move the hub  next to my phone but  I do not want this , so i thought if i bought an extension phone cable it could be plugged  into there adapter at  the back of hub then dropped under the floor and brought back next to my phone. 

The offer relates to customers who are being switched over to 21CV. Sadly, customers get a lottery answer from VM depending on a whole bunch of things inc. who they talk to, the person's knowledge and training and whatever answer VM have briefed them to supply that day/week/month.

Here are two recent topics at random where it was offered on here (so it does exist and there shouldn't be too much discussion about it really from the POV of VM)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-need-adaptor-for-socket/m-p/5129606#M176027

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Fibre-phone-wiring-query/m-p/5114485#M175205

Wait for a VM forum team member to get here and reply within a day or two.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Button3,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many apologies regarding this matter, can I ask regarding this where is the Hub in regards to the phone line?

Also is the service due to be switched or has that been done already?

Let us know,

Kain

Hello my hub is in the hall  just outside the sitting room and my phone is in the sitting room apprx 20feet away.

This must be getting done soon as virgin have been on the phone to me .

Thanks.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries, our team should be able to sort this for you.

I've dropped you a PM so we can discuss further.

You'll find the message within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update on this matter and your cooperation over PM Button3,

I'm glad you were able to get this resolved.

If you do have anymore queries then be sure to pop back up to the team.

Take care,

Kain

I had the same question, but since you replied to the OP by pm, you haven't yet answered it for me.  Why not answer these things in the forum, so others can read it?

I'm due to have the "upgrade" which is in no way an upgrade, so I resent it being called that.  It's a major retrograde step, to a system which will go down during a power cut, or much more likely, an internet outage caused by Virgin Media.  Since it's only specified for REN3, I won't even be able to have my extensions plugged in, and it remains to be seen if my call blocker box is compatible with it - which will be a major blow if it's not, because 9 out of 10 calls are from charlatans who want to cheat and defraud me.

To return to the main point, I have to have a new hub, with an unspecified type of socket on it and an adapter.  I want to extend that adapter.  I don't want an engineer or a technician treading mud into my carpets and demanding that I move furniture, I just want to know what cable to buy.

So, what type of socket is on the hub?  RJ11?  RJ12?  What?

What sort of wiring do I need to extend it?  Can I, for example, use an RJ11 plug to plug cable, with a coupler?  If so, does it need to be straight wired or cross wired?

Please reply HERE, in the forum, not by PM.  I'm not in any rush.

If they say you need a new Hub, then I assume you have a Hub 2 or 2ac. The minimum requirement is a Hub 3 which has two RJ11 ports on it marked Tel 1 and Tel 2 (although only Tel 1, the upper one, is activated to use). How many extensions do you currently have? In theory a VM tech should connected the aforementioned Tel 1 socket to the nearest telephony wall socket and hence ‘back feed’ the connections to your extensions. Should work, but without knowing all of the specifics, it’s not possible to say with certainty. And it’s straight wired if you fancy doing it yourself.