Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

emregency backup line connection

Hi 

I have recently had broadband, tv  and phone with the emergency backup line box installed  by installation tech and all was fine with the phone while here was here. when i went to use the phone i got a message saying problem/no credit only emergency service calls and couldn't recieve calls. i have called virgin helpline this morning and the op advised me i need to connect the phone directly into the router to work which it does. I was then advised that in the event of a power cut to use the emergency back up unit i would then have to unplug my phone from the router and plug it into the ebul unit or have 2 phones connected 1 to the router the other to the ebul unit.

I have requested the ebul unit as peace of mind as i have family with dementia and aged surely they cant be expected to plug in and out telephone plugs during a powercut to call 999?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: emregency backup line connection

Thanks for the post Neddy12 and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you queried this situation with the team when you called? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

Yes this is what I was told. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@neddy12 wrote:

Hi 

I was then advised that in the event of a power cut to use the emergency back up unit i would then have to unplug my phone from the router and plug it into the ebul unit or have 2 phones connected 1 to the router the other to the ebul unit.

I have requested the ebul unit as peace of mind as i have family with dementia and aged surely they cant be expected to plug in and out telephone plugs during a powercut to call 999?

I would suggest the option in bold above is the best solution, as the router has no mains power during a power cut so cannot be used. Also many street cabinets rely on mains power. This issue will affect ALL landline providers by 2025, as the entire UK PSTN network will be switched off & everyone is migrated to VoIP services. The telecoms regulator has removed any obligation to provide landline services in the event of a power cut, so the EBUL is as near as you are going to get to a solution.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't see how you can have two phones connected to the hub as although there are two RJ11 ports only one (TEL 1) is active. When your phone is connected to the emergency backup line box there is no change to the way you use the phone but if there is a power cut or network outage the box will automatically connect to one of the the four mobile networks so you can call 999 or 112.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is logical. How should the ebul unit be connected it has 2 ports, phone icon and house icon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

as the phone backup can only be used for 999 calls you are better off with a cheap £10 phone and a PAYG sim.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TTfone-TT110B-Emergency-Mobile-Phone-Blue/dp/B07FPSVKKJ/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=...

Question really is why are people paying £15+ for a land line a month without calls when you can pay £6 and get unlimited calls and texts.

#ditchlandlines 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos