cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

city fibre vs VirginMedia

Sillyoldtrucker
Joining in

I am a long standing VirginMedia customer and I assume I am already getting the best fibre optic service available. However, City Fibre recently dug up our street to lay their fibre optic cables and now everyone has been 'invited' by letter to 'connect today' So my question is "Do I actually need to do anything as my current service seems to be fine? Are there any advantages/disadvantages in connecting through cityfibre? I do not want to leave Virgin regardless!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Sillyoldtrucker wrote:

I am a long standing VirginMedia customer and I assume I am already getting the best fibre optic service available. However, City Fibre recently dug up our street to lay their fibre optic cables and now everyone has been 'invited' by letter to 'connect today' So my question is "Do I actually need to do anything as my current service seems to be fine? Are there any advantages/disadvantages in connecting through cityfibre? I do not want to leave Virgin regardless!

If you are happy with the price VM are asking for your services, and you have no technical issues, then there would be no compelling reasons to jump ship and leave VM.

For those experiencing an ever-increasing cost for VM's services, who also cannot get a better deal from VM, then City Fibre may offer more competitive pricing for their new customers compared to VM. City Fibre will also be building their infrastructure from new, whereas much of the VM network is relying on infrastructure installed more than 20 years ago by the former cable TV companies.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sillyoldtrucker,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. Great to have you here!

You wouldn't need to do anything if you were looking to stay with us. We wouldn't want you to leave us either 😄

Best,

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Sillyoldtrucker wrote:

If you are happy with the price VM are asking for your services, and you have no technical issues, then there would be no compelling reasons to jump ship and leave VM.

For those experiencing an ever-increasing cost for VM's services, who also cannot get a better deal from VM, then City Fibre may offer more competitive pricing for their new customers compared to VM. City Fibre will also be building their infrastructure from new, whereas much of the VM network is relying on infrastructure installed more than 20 years ago by the former cable TV companies.

Thanks for the reply, you have put my mind at rest (for now!) To be fair that is what I thought, but the blurb they put out does make you wonder what will happen next. So thanks again, I am staying put for now!

Hi @Sillyoldtrucker,

Thanks for coming back to us! Glad to hear that you're happy with us! 🙂

If you need help with anything, please let us know. We're here to help.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs