Menu
China236doll
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

chargeable phone call request for the number

hi 

We have our Virginmedia home phone plugged in mainly because it has an answer machine so as we can receive calls and messages if the caller cant access our mobile phones .

The home line phone does not have any numbers stored in the phone book because we don't use the phone to MAKE calls .

When we checked our latest bill we could see that we were being charged for making a phone call on the landline home phone so I rang 150 to query it .

I could not believe what I was told , " sorry I am not allowed to tell you when you made the chargeable call or the number you called "   !    

After spending nearly an hour on the phone I could only find out that yes Virginmedia does have a record of the number called , when it was called and how long the call was but they would not tell me but insisted that I had made the call and it was chargeable . 

How can this be right ?  Its my home phone , they said I made the call , so what possible reason is there that they cant give me the details of it ?  

I was only given the last three numbers of the phone number called !

I fully understand that inclusive calls would not be shown on a itemised bill as they are free , but Virgin has said I made a chargeable call so why wont they give me the details of the call ?

thanks for any help 

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: chargeable phone call request for the number

Have you logged into 'My Virgin Media' and checked the billing section? If you have been charged it should show up there, assuming it is greater than any threshold limit.

0 Kudos
China236doll
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yes , it does show that I have made a call and been charged but gives no info of the time and date and does not give the phone number that they say I have called .

thanks
0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Default itemisation limit is usually 50p so presumably the cost is below that. You could ask VM to give you full itemisation of the bills for future reference. Don't think there is any additional cost for having full itemisation added but you’d need to check that. The VM forum team might be able to arrange that for you.

The matter of unexplained charges does crop up on the forum with some regularity. Past explanations depend on whether you receive your VM landline service via the VM hub or via a conventional landline telephone socket.

In the case of the latter, the possibility of a crossed connection outside the home is often mentioned. Some past posts have also mentioned other items of equipment such as security or personal alarms, health monitors, audio visual or computer equipment, other telecoms devices such as call blockers which are connected to the phone line dialling out unexpectedly and causing small, regular charges.

There have also been past topics about unexpected charges when the phone is connected to the VM hub. These have often involved significant sums of money and sometimes calls to premium rate numbers which the customer knows nothing about. These have not been explained in public on the forum as the topic usually goes off to private message.

Does any of the above fit with your situation? You will have to wait for the VM forum team to pick this up to investigate further for you and they may be able to provide the number being charged for. They normally reply within a week but sometimes can take longer.

0 Kudos
China236doll
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks for your reply .

The issue I have is obviously being charged for a call I am not aware that I made but the point I was trying to make was I can not understand why VM will not disclose to me the number called , the time and date the number was called . 

The cost is low and not really the issue , its the fact that I pay VM for using their service and they charge me for using it but wont tell me the information I want to know . I can not understand this !

I did ask for the itemised chargeable calls but they would not tell me .

I have the phone plugged into a white wall socket like the BT ones because I like to keep the answer machine plugged in .

thanks 

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can't explain/don't know the reason you didn't get the number from VM when you called. They may not have full/ready access to all of the billing info. below the itemisation limit. Past posts have mentioned customers being given only a part of the number in this kind of situation.

I was suggesting that you ask for full itemisation of all calls to be applied to the account going forward (rather than the default 50p limit) so that if the issue crops up again on future bills then you would be able to see all of the chargeable numbers called on the bill or on 'My VM'.

Wait for one of the VM forum team to pick up who may be able to give you more info. and advise what to do next.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi China236doll

Thanks for posting. 

We wouldn't give our the exact number as that's not something we do I'm afraid. 

I'd advice going forward to set the itemisation below 50p as advised above then you'll have any and all calls listed

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
China236doll
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks for all the replies .

I still cant understand why VM can not give me the number that I have called , it does not make sense !

As mentioned earlier I don't make calls on my landline so don't really want to pay any extra charges for itemised billing as there should not be any calls to see .

I would appreciate it if VM would change my current settings to show all chargeable calls of ANY duration or price if that's possible , but would expect to be able to see the NUMBER , the TIME and the DATE that I made ANY chargeable calls .

perhaps a VM member could tell me if this is possible please ?

as for the comment " We wouldn't give out the exact number as that's not something we do I'm afraid. "   PLEASE can you explain why ? it does not make sense !!

thanks

0 Kudos