Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

charge because I didn't hang up the phone

I just got my landline bill. There is a single local call of 881 minutes, it might be because I didn't hang up the phone I don't know.  My bill says:  

Talk More Anytime for 001314492xx1

Access charge   Cost applies

16.99ppm           03 Aug 2020 - 01 Sep 2020

What is access charge?   Does talk more anytime not mean that I have free local calls? 

Been waiting 45 minutes to talk to them.  In past service has been great but this is terrible. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: charge because I didn't hang up the phone

Hello

With any talk plan the calls are limited to a 60 minute call and then call back, if you go over the 60 min then it would be charged from minute 60 - 881 minutes. The access charge is the cost of the phone call after 60 mins per minute.

The info is https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/phone/compare under the show info of your plan.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Local call? This isn’t even a UK call!

00 is the international dialling access code in the UK & the country code 1 is USA, so you have been charged for a call to the USA. The area code 314 which follows is for the St. Louis area.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I noticed that as well.   The number  001314492xx1  is my own number, I have no idea why it has the extra 0.

And it doesn't cost 16.99ppm to call USA. And it does say on the tariff sheet that local calls cost 17ppm.  Elsewhere on the bill it gives the number which was dialled and it was my local GP. for some reason the call didn't hang up I think.  

I got through to them, they accepted that there may have been a technical error and have waived the charge.  All credit to Virgin for doing so.  I'm a long-standing customer (30 years) so they have made plenty profit out of me over the years.

Although it took along time to get through the support call was very well handled by the agent I spoke to in the Philippines, I've always found Virgin Media customer services to be very good. I work in a bank for customer services and I take lots of calls where Sky have messed up customer bills, but very few from Virgin customers.  Virgin are IMHO easily the best of a bad bad bunch. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kawadadi,

thank you for your reply, I am sorry to hear this I will happily take a look into this for you 🙂 

I will pop you over a PM and get some details from you to rule out a crossed line or scam callers 

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I spoke last night with the service centre and after a manager looked over the account they agreed not to charge for the long call.  I haven't plugged the telephone back in yet (I took it out after speaking to the service centre).  I think I will have things set up so that outgoing calls are completely blocked.  Or maybe just go for a package that does not include landline. 

Can I check on my account so that I can see how much will be taken by direct debit?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah if you check the online account the balance will show 🙂

However if the bill was produced then amended, the billing won't change online but the right amount would be taken if that makes sense?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I can see a credit on my account. 

I have arranged for call barring.  

Do you know if I can limit call length?

I was looking into going to a broadband only deal, but when I search my postcode it says it is not available. And if I try to select it on the website it just steers me towards packages with TV and phone.  As an existing VM customer am I permitted to go to a broadband only deal? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Call length can't be limited I'm afraid. 

Yeah you can do a broadband alone deal but it maybe cheaper for you to have more than one service.

Give us a call on 150 // 0345 454 1111 options 1 and 4 and we can assist further

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks, 

you seem to be offering BB only for £44 per month fixed for 18 months:   https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only

or, surprisingly, BB only for £38 per month 30-day rolling: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/30-day-rolling.  If I took this would I be exempt from either (or maybe both) components of the £80 upfront charge? 

0 Kudos