cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changes to home phone

fulano
Tuning in
Dear Team
Thanks for this.  I'm puzzled:  I thought our land line was already fibre cable, installed by C&W years ago, then taken over by NTL and in turn now owned and run by Virgin. We've been getting our phone service along with broadband and tv.  Can this not continue?  Does your letter below really apply to us?
We also have a security service  connected to the line which works ok; the providers say it is not compatible with your fibre network and would need an IP Upgrade costing about £600 to make it compatible.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fulano 👋

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We are carrying out essential work to make sure home phone services in the UK are fit for the future. In order to do this, we need to switch off the outdated copper telephone network, and instead make our home phone service operate over the future-proof fibre network.

You can read more about this 👉 here
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fulano 👋

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We are carrying out essential work to make sure home phone services in the UK are fit for the future. In order to do this, we need to switch off the outdated copper telephone network, and instead make our home phone service operate over the future-proof fibre network.

You can read more about this 👉 here
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Hi Ayisha
Thanks but my point is, we're already on fibre cable, have been for years.
Also an apology, I accidentally marked your answer as helpful, my system sometimes too sensitive or seems to do things on its own.

I have checked our systems and your phone line does not connect via our Fibre network.

You connect via the phone socket and the migration letter was sent to you accordingly.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@fulano wrote:

Hi Ayisha
Also an apology, I accidentally marked your answer as helpful, my system sometimes too sensitive or seems to do things on its own.

The change means that your phone sockets on the wall will stop working. The point where you connect your phone (the same phone you use now) becomes the back of the VM hub. VM provide an adapter to do this

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

From the customer's point of view, it is mainly the manner and means of connecting that has changed.

The other key difference is that if the hub is offline for any reason then the phone line may not work.

Alarm companies have not been backward in trying to sell new alarm systems off the back of this change.

Whether or not you need a new alarm system (quite possibly/probably not) depends on how exactly your alarm uses the existing phone line and where an alarm call connects to (a call to yourself or a call monitoring centre etc.). You may just need an extension socket linking back to the alarm panel for the alarm panel to connect via the phone socket on the VM hub.

VM should do any phone wiring mod's free of charge as part of the switchover process.

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

@fulano wrote:

Hi Ayisha

Actually no, you aren’t on a ‘fibre cable system’, and arguably never have been!

Historically, it comes from the early ADSL connection days when you were connected by telephone-type wire back to the BT exchange, the speed you got was massively dependent on the distance you happened to be from the exchange.

So move forward when Openreach started to connect the street cabinets with fibre, suddenly this Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) connection allowed end users to get faster speeds as the limiting factor was now how close you are to the street cabinet rather than the exchange. Arguably unfortunately, both OFCOM and the ASA, allowed the ISPs to call this ‘fibre broadband’ and the term has stuck.

Now in Virgin Media’s case, they have never used the old ‘telephone wire’ type of connection, they have used a much better coax copper cable connection, but for, probably marketing reasons, they jumped onto the bandwagon as offering ‘fibre broadband’, although they do have fibre connections between some of the street cabinets.

In actual fact it’s fairly irrelevant, the coax cable that VM use can, in theory, support 10 Gb/s speeds easily, it’s all marketing. In most people’s eye’s ‘fibre’ is better than ‘copper’, so that’s what they have pushed - VM have ‘Fibre Broadband Connections’!

Regarding the telephony provision, well, actually, I don’t think that VM really have done themselves any favours (long term) in the way they have marketed and pushed this. All sorts of buzzword marketing phrases have been dropped ‘FibrePhone’, VoIP etc. have been used and mentioned on here, sometimes by the forum team. FibrePhone is a completely meaningless, made up marketing term, and what they are offering simply isn’t VoIP as most people would recognise it.

At the moment, you have two connections from your house out to the VM street cabinet. One of these is a coax cable connection (about as thick as your little finger) which carries internet and TV services, the other is four thin copper cables twisted into two pairs, which carry your existing telephone service.

What VM are doing is changing things so that the telephony service is carried over the coax cable rather than the twisted copper wires, other than that, it has zero impact on your existing arrangement.

Well, except, when the switch over happens, your phone needs to be connected directly to the hub so as to be able to access the coax cable, rather than the wall socket. Is this feasible in your case, if not then VM will send a tech to re wire your house to allow it all to work?

"... VM will send a tech to re wire your house to allow it all to work?"

On this last point, I never use the home phone for outgoing calls & only 1 person every calls me on it. In essence I don't need a landline. Having told VM this many times they wanted to charge me extra not to have the landline in my package! 😠 Because of the layout of my property it's not feasible to simply connect a phone to the hub so they sent an engineer. He assessed everything and concluded he couldn't do the rewiring necessary without considerable disruption (& expense). Are VM going to cover the costs.. Not a cat in hels chance!!

So, as I initially pointed out to VM, when the changeover happens I will simply unplug my handset! OK, the landline won't work, but that's what I wanted anyway.

VM are totally ridiculous. They've created a system with so many negatives it beggars belief, yet the clowns that push the buttons don't have one that solves the problems so, as it don't come on their screen, they simply ignore things.

In the early days of Telewest service was commonplace, since VM took over it's gradually become a dirty word!

Hi @El_Defensor 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I am sorry you feel this way.

Depending on the bundle pricing and any offers, it maybe cheaper to retain the landline even if like me, you do not use it.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

When VM charge less to have a service than not it must be assumed that they expect to make money from customers using that service. As I don't use the phone they make nothing, yet they still have to provide everything that goes with that service. It makes no sense!
Spin it (& that's what it is) whichever way you choose, but it doesn't have to be that way it's simply that VM want it to be. A big difference.