cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant hear the caller on incoming calls

Mikedp23
Tuning in

About 50% of incoming calls we cant hear the caller but they can hear us .  If we phone back the call is OK .  About 10 % outgoing calls fail as we dont get a ringing tone .  Dial tone always present on picking up the phone to make a call . 

It is VOIP connection into Hub 3.0    

Caller ID works ,    Tried a basic wired phone instead of the BT cordless  thinking it was the cordless but it is the same problem.     Tried rebooting the hub too but no improvement.   

Only had Virgin media for 5 months and it was fine for first 3 months but beginning to regret changing from BT .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mikedp23 wrote:

Hi 

<snip>

The reason I joined the forum was to find out if others had the same issue and how it was resolved 

The BT DECT phone is marked with a REN of 1 .   The Basic wired phone connected is also a REN 1 , so on paper I now have a REN of 2  but the problem is still happening with both phones connected .   

Can  VM  give me a definitive list of DECT phones that are known  to work 100%  with this Hub 3.0  ?   

Thanks

The explanation that 'your REN is too low' keeps getting mentioned over and over again on here. Presumably it is the last link in the online support decision tree fault finding flow on a computer screen.

A modern, powered DECT phone would be expected to have a REN of less than 1 but phones now generally seem to be badged in multiples of 1 for simplicity.

Going through your description ...

• The cordless phone worked for 3 months without issue
  • You have tried a replacement corded phone instead of the cordless and you get the same problem
  • You have tried two phones connected to the line to increase the REN on the line
  • The problem persists

Those combinations suggest that the problem is not with your phone(s).

A common link is the VM adapter. These are cheapo generic parts and often poor quality but, if it was the adapter, then I would have thought you would get issues with no connection at all and possibly no ringing (rather than a one-way loss of connection during a call).

Do you ever have problems with the phone(s) not ringing for an incoming call?

Presumably you are also connecting direct into the VM hub with the VM adapter (not via any legacy extension sockets in the home that have been linked into the VM hub's phone connection).

If you can borrow a different third phone to try (from a friend, family member, neighbour etc.) and if the problem persisted, that would clearly rule out a phone handset problem IMO.

However, since you have already tried two different phones separately, and together, and still get the same problem, then I'd suggest VM needs to do some more investigating before you splash out on buying any more phones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mikedp23,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, really sorry to hear  you are facing issues where you are unable to hear incoming calls however if you call them back there are no issues. 

As you have advised you have tried a different corded Phone and still have the same issues, once your  Landline Switchover has been completed and you are connected Via the Router some phones may not work fully, is the handset you are using a Dect Phone?

Regards

Paul.

Hi 

I have not had any landline switchover . The Hub 3.0   was set up by the VM Engineer on the day of installation in August 2022.  The VOIP  "landline"  worked when the Engineer was here and we had no problems for the first 3 months.     Then the  incoming calls  started to have the problem that we could not hear the caller. It is about 50% of calls have the problem .

The same DECT  phone has been connected since August .   And also now a basic wired handset is also connected 

I have spoken to VM support ( level 2 )   and they say it is the  REN of my phone that is the problem and I must have a REN greater that 1 and the remote test run says the REN=0.36  and I need to change my phone as that is the problem.   I asked the level 2 support what phone I should get and he said I could  buy on line,  just check that  the REN is more than 1 .   Searching on line , I couldn't find anything that gave a REN numbers. I am reluctant to spend £50+ or so on a pair of new DECT phones if there is no guarantee it will work .  Of course saying the REN is too low really doesn't explain why it worked fine for the first 3 months 

The reason I joined the forum was to find out if others had the same issue and how it was resolved 

The BT DECT phone is marked with a REN of 1 .   The Basic wired phone connected is also a REN 1 , so on paper I now have a REN of 2  but the problem is still happening with both phones connected .   

Can  VM  give me a definitive list of DECT phones that are known  to work 100%  with this Hub 3.0  ?   

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the above information, I am sorry this isn't information I am able to get however there are lots of post on our community in regards to this and some have recommended handsets. if any Friends or Family members have a Dect phone that you can try before you purchase one this may be something you can do.

Regards

Paul.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mikedp23 wrote:

Hi 

<snip>

Thanks

The explanation that 'your REN is too low' keeps getting mentioned over and over again on here. Presumably it is the last link in the online support decision tree fault finding flow on a computer screen.

A modern, powered DECT phone would be expected to have a REN of less than 1 but phones now generally seem to be badged in multiples of 1 for simplicity.

Going through your description ...

• The cordless phone worked for 3 months without issue
  • You have tried a replacement corded phone instead of the cordless and you get the same problem
  • You have tried two phones connected to the line to increase the REN on the line
  • The problem persists

Those combinations suggest that the problem is not with your phone(s).

A common link is the VM adapter. These are cheapo generic parts and often poor quality but, if it was the adapter, then I would have thought you would get issues with no connection at all and possibly no ringing (rather than a one-way loss of connection during a call).

Do you ever have problems with the phone(s) not ringing for an incoming call?

Presumably you are also connecting direct into the VM hub with the VM adapter (not via any legacy extension sockets in the home that have been linked into the VM hub's phone connection).

If you can borrow a different third phone to try (from a friend, family member, neighbour etc.) and if the problem persisted, that would clearly rule out a phone handset problem IMO.

However, since you have already tried two different phones separately, and together, and still get the same problem, then I'd suggest VM needs to do some more investigating before you splash out on buying any more phones.

Thanks Goslow for your thoughts 

There is no legacy wiring connected , just the RJ11 to standard UK phone adapter that came the  Hub 3.0 plus a splitter so i could connect both my DECT and the basic BT Duet handset .   The phone has always rung no problem .  I am going to try to borrow another handset and try that for a bit and am keeping a log of  number of  calls where the "cant hear" fault occurs.

Do you know what is the DC current that equates to a REN of one when the phone is on hook ?    I think I can connect  my  multimeter and check the REN current myself  and prove what my REN is rather than take the word of VM support (level 2) . ( who said they took a measurement remotely with the  phone on hook )  From the research I have done on line the VOIP phone connection simulates a conventional phone line so will be DC voltage on hook then pulsed AC signal at about 25  Hz when ringing . The best info I could find was that an old conventional analogue phone with an impedance of 4000 ohm  was used to define a REN of 1  which would be 12mA at 48v DC  and 6mA at 24v DC  for the on hook current . 

I wont be buying a new DECT  phone unless I am certain it will 100% fix the issue .  

Thanks for the update on the forums page @Mikedp23.

May I ask if you have had this issue since the start of the service?
Were you on a copper line before and were you then switched over to the VOIP line?
Let us know how it goes with the other handset and if the issue continues and we will be able to assist from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mikedp23 wrote:

Thanks Goslow for your thoughts 

There is no legacy wiring connected , just the RJ11 to standard UK phone adapter that came the  Hub 3.0 plus a splitter so i could connect both my DECT and the basic BT Duet handset .   The phone has always rung no problem .  I am going to try to borrow another handset and try that for a bit and am keeping a log of  number of  calls where the "cant hear" fault occurs.

Do you know what is the DC current that equates to a REN of one when the phone is on hook ?    I think I can connect  my  multimeter and check the REN current myself  and prove what my REN is rather than take the word of VM support (level 2) . ( who said they took a measurement remotely with the  phone on hook )  From the research I have done on line the VOIP phone connection simulates a conventional phone line so will be DC voltage on hook then pulsed AC signal at about 25  Hz when ringing . The best info I could find was that an old conventional analogue phone with an impedance of 4000 ohm  was used to define a REN of 1  which would be 12mA at 48v DC  and 6mA at 24v DC  for the on hook current . 

I wont be buying a new DECT  phone unless I am certain it will 100% fix the issue .  

Worth noting that the BT 'Duet' range (which you have plugged in for testing) has had quite a few mentions of 'not-working-ness' on here with the VM 21CV phone connection so incuding that may possibly muddy your testing processes.

If your DECT phone is relatively 'new' (mid 2000's and later) then it should work OK IMO.

I think I'd be inclined to try a third phone (which ideally will be a recent model) and give that a go and see how you get on and, as you suggest, make a record of the one-way loss of contact events.

There are plenty of spec's online for telephone connections but VM's phone port on the hub is a hybrid arrangement so it may be hard to make like for like comparisons. The only spec for the Hub I have come across mentioning phone capabilities are here

https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/62348-tg2492s3.pdf

which seems to be a similar base model to the Hub 3.

There was no issue observed for about the first three months of  service ,  It only started in November about 1/2 the time calls the caller cannot be heard but they can hear me.

I have only ever had a VOIP line from Virgin Media with a fibre optic service to my house . Before that I had BT broadband and   that was copper wires for the phone too.

Please feel free for VM to advise how to solve this issue ,  It was OK initially so what have VM changed ?    

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mikedp23

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your phoneline.

I am going to drop you a private message now to collect some more information and investigate further, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs