Menu
JMB12
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

can't phone out incoming OK

similar problem to february this year. Engineer Swewart 53593 said voltage drop on line but also that we would be better with phone routed through router and left connector. We are elderly and on extremely vulnerable list so don't want engineer to call, Can you change our connection method to through the router please. otherwise we will have to carry on  calling out on other mobile phone which is expensive.

phone no is [REMOVED]

Many thanks

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: can't phone out incoming OK

Hi there @JMB12

Welcome to our Forum and thank you so much for your first post - I am very sorry to understand that you're having some issues making some outbound calls from your landline. Can I ask if you have a dial tone when you pick up your handset? 

What happens when you attempt to make an outbound call - do you get any error message? 

Have you tried an alternative handset at all? 

I understand that a previous technician has advised about our new telephone line via your broadband services; this is certainly something that we are rolling out to eligible customers, however, it';s not as easy as flicking a switch;  you would still require a technician visit. Also, as you advised you are on the vulnerable list, we would need to fit extra equipment to your line so you can still call 999 if you have a fault with your broadband services. 

I have done some checks on your line from here and no errors are showing from this end - please do let us know if you are able to test another handset and we can go from there; either way we'll be more than likely need to get a technician out for you. 

Keep us posted. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JMB12
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for contacting me Kate. The phone has no proper dialling tone - just a buzz. Will accept input of telephone numbers and attempts to connect but goes dead while trying. Then no sound and no error message but phone shows "line in use" until we press disconnect. Same fault as in February. Stewart the engineer altered something in the local street box which he said was to do with line voltage. He thought the problem might re-oocur so fitted  a new router with a telephone socket and connector but could not transfer us to that service because the Virgin computer was down. He said if we phoned Virgin after a few days and explained what he had done you would transfer us over to the new connection system. This I'm afraid I forgot to do, until now that is!

Whatever needs doing we cannot accept a visit from an engineer. If this had been possible I would simply have booked an appointment online.

We are fine at the moment and can receive incoming calls and make outgoing calls on our mobiles, so thanks for your help but if there is nothing that can be done without an engineer's visit we will have to leave things as they are

John (JMB12)

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi JMB12, 

Thanks for getting back to us,

At this point an engineer would be needed yes. Happy to arrange this whenever you're ready, just let us know.

Stay safe,

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
JMB12
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello again after a long interval ! We have now had our first vaccination and feel much more at ease about an engineer's visit.The problems continue just the same so would appreciate it if you could arrange visit whenever convenient and let us know when this is likely to be. As you can imagine we are at home all of the time. Look forward to hearing from you and many thanks for your understanding. John Brew

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi JMB12, 

We would be happy to get this arrange for you. 

In order to do this I will just need to confirm some details via a private message. 

I will pop this over to you now and this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat
0 Kudos