Menu
FHM
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

are 0800 numbers free on landline if call lasts more than one hour?

I have top landline phone package but need to know if landline calls to 0800 are free after one hour as having to hang on when calling a supplier for over an hour.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: are 0800 numbers free on landline if call lasts more than one hour?

Hi FHM, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this question answered, I can confirm 0800 numbers are still free of charge after 60 minutes on a call 🙂

Is the supplier you're trying to call ourselves? If so, please let me know what you need looking at and I will be happy to help!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@FHM wrote:

I have top landline phone package but need to know if landline calls to 0800 are free after one hour as having to hang on when calling a supplier for over an hour.

Since 2015 all calls to 0800 & 0808 numbers must be free of ANY charges as part of the telephone service regulations:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/how-muc... 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

FHM
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan_L,

Thanks for your helpful answer. I am having to phone an insurance company to chase something up and, typically, these calls can be over an hour as most of time is spent on hold! My package states that calls are free up to an hour then charged at the standard rate thereafter and I wasn't sure if this applied to 0800 calls.

Regards,

FHM

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@FHM wrote:

Hi Megan_L,

Thanks for your helpful answer. I am having to phone an insurance company to chase something up and, typically, these calls can be over an hour as most of time is spent on hold! My package states that calls are free up to an hour then charged at the standard rate thereafter and I wasn't sure if this applied to 0800 calls.

Regards,

FHM

With a normal inclusive call (strictly speaking, the calls are inclusive with your call package for the first 60 minutes, so describing them as free is a misnomer), after 60 minutes the call reverts to the normal charge rate for that number.

The charge rate for 0800 or 0808 is zero anyway, so you would never pay a charge however long you are on the call.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks