cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add another base/answerphone to the setup sincechangeover

Teekay2
On our wavelength

Hi, I have a BT4600 Base/answer machine and 3 extensions.
Recently Virgin changed the phones to broadband and so I must have the Base next to the Router which is upstairs.I also now have an emergency phone supplied by Virgin in case the BB goes down plugged into the Base upstairs. This means that the answerphone is is not easily visible/audible. Previously it was in the downstairs hallway.
My question is can I add another base/answerphone to the setup down stairs where it is easily accessible

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You need a VM tech to modify your phone wiring to re-enable your telephone wall sockets so that they are linked to the phone connection via the VM hub.

VM should offer this for free as part of the switchover process.

This would allow you to place the equipment where you want it without moving the VM hub.

Did you actually need/want the emergency phone in the bedroom location or is that just where the VM tech placed it?

In the meantime, the BT4600 phone should allow you to operate the answering machine functions without being next to the base station.

The manual for the phone is here

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/legacy-ug/phones/3653%20BT4600%20UG%20Call%20Blocking%20Versi...

Your remote handsets should display missed calls (page 50)

You can check the message alert is set to on (page 58) which will make the base beep when a message is waiting.

Operating the answering machine from a handset is on page 53.

There is a also a red indicator light on the top of each handset but the manual does not say what that does. Might be to indicate ringing or might also act as a missed call indicator but nothing is mentioned in the manual.

If you want to add in another satellite handset you can do (to place a handset in the hall if that is where the base used to be) but the answering machine base needs to be plugged into a working socket in order to answer calls so you would be adding just a simple charging base and handset (not another answering machine). Page 78 describes adding an additional handset. You can have upto 6 handsets on the system.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Teekay2, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear about this. 

We can look at getting a tech out to come and take a look at your set up if you wish?

Do let us know.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You need a VM tech to modify your phone wiring to re-enable your telephone wall sockets so that they are linked to the phone connection via the VM hub.

VM should offer this for free as part of the switchover process.

This would allow you to place the equipment where you want it without moving the VM hub.

Did you actually need/want the emergency phone in the bedroom location or is that just where the VM tech placed it?

In the meantime, the BT4600 phone should allow you to operate the answering machine functions without being next to the base station.

The manual for the phone is here

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/legacy-ug/phones/3653%20BT4600%20UG%20Call%20Blocking%20Versi...

Your remote handsets should display missed calls (page 50)

You can check the message alert is set to on (page 58) which will make the base beep when a message is waiting.

Operating the answering machine from a handset is on page 53.

There is a also a red indicator light on the top of each handset but the manual does not say what that does. Might be to indicate ringing or might also act as a missed call indicator but nothing is mentioned in the manual.

If you want to add in another satellite handset you can do (to place a handset in the hall if that is where the base used to be) but the answering machine base needs to be plugged into a working socket in order to answer calls so you would be adding just a simple charging base and handset (not another answering machine). Page 78 describes adding an additional handset. You can have upto 6 handsets on the system.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

As Goslow mentioned we can look at doing this for you.

I will send you a PM now. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Teekay2
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply. We need the Hub and the emergency phone to stay upstairs. We had to bring the base/answerphone up to plug into the Hub which was already upstairs.
I understand about the other phones . I simply swapped the downstairs base for the upstairs satellite phone as I was not told that there was an alternative.