cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring existing NTE5 socket from VN Router

chief47
Tuning in

I have a fibre phone changeover date for May. My phone socket is in an adjacent room to VM Router. For convenience I want to do the connection myself. My plane is to buy a standard RJ11 - RJ11 10 m extension lead and plug one end directly into router. The other end is cut off, passed through a hole in the wall, around the room and into existing NTE5 wall socket. I will have previously removed wall socket and disconnect incoming phone line. This is now my question. I assume I will be using same terminals for my new connection as was used for the old. Does it matter which way round the wires are? Being only two I have a 50% chance of getting it right first time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello chief47,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you need some information on how to wire your existing socket up to our new fibre phone line. 

There are 2 ways we can get this resolved for you.

I can arrange for an engineer to attend and rewire the extension up for you. 

The other way if you wish to do this your self, is have a look at the information here.

If you did try and it failed, then please let me know so I can arrange a visit.

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello chief47,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you need some information on how to wire your existing socket up to our new fibre phone line. 

There are 2 ways we can get this resolved for you.

I can arrange for an engineer to attend and rewire the extension up for you. 

The other way if you wish to do this your self, is have a look at the information here.

If you did try and it failed, then please let me know so I can arrange a visit.

Gareth_L

The link below is an OFCOM / BT document, have a look at the Page 6,  Table 1  

I read that as the telephone line's 2 wire A & B connections can be connected either way to the NTE5 socket's terminal 2 & 5.

https://niccstandards.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/nd1601_2005_05.pdf

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Please keep us updated chief47.

Gareth_L

Will do but changeover not till mid May

Thanks chief47.

We will still be here ready and waiting👍

Gareth_L

Changeover day is here.  My set up is a NTE5 in which I had plugged a two way adapter. Each adapter fed a different cordless phone group (I like lots of phones) Also one had a splitter on that fed a standard wired phone.  None of my phones were near my router so I thought I would be having problems but no. I purchased a standard ADSL 10m lead with RJ11 connectors on each end. The ends had to be small to poke through a hole in a wall. Didn't use the Virgin adapter just plugged one RJ11 into Router. Unscrewed phone socket, accessed the incoming VN wires & removed them. Cut off the other end of my ADSL cable, bared the two central wires (white & brown in my case) and connected to the two terminals back of socket. All phones now working as they should. At no time did I get a green telephone light on my router nor did I reboot it as per instruction.. And I still have a live connection on my original VM line although there is no phone attached to it but that may disappear soon.