Menu
byro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Which home phone to buy?

Hi, I have recently signed up to the ultimate oomph package that gives TV, broadband and landline. I have just found out Virgin media do not provide a handset so I must buy one myself before the installation date. 

Therefore, is there a certain phone you would suggest/recommend that I should look for, as I saw somewhere that a traditional phone might not work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Which home phone to buy?

Thanks for the post Byro.

We suggest that most home phones would work on the connection or you can usually get adapters to connect it. 

We do know that BT brand phones tend to not work with the features on our line though.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
byro
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would Virgin media provide me this adapter or would it be best to buy a VoIP handset since I currently have a Bt home phone.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No we wouldn't be able to provide this it is usually made by the handset provider. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
byro
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could you tell me what type of adapter I need to find, since I have no idea what its called. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It does all depend on the handset.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This topic is a little strange to read and understand. Presumably the OP will be signed up to receive the phone connection via the hub as a new customer - a 21CV connection

As I understand it, any modern standard POTS phone should work. The only adapter that should be needed is a generic RJ11 plug to BT socket which is not manufacturer-specific and should be supplied by VM at time of installation.

The possible compatibility issues which I have read about on the forum in the past usually relate to caller ID on the VM network and/or the absence of a ringing capacitor in the adapter (which usually only affects older equipment).

Some BT and Panasonic phones have been mentioned in the past for caller ID issues. Some BT phone ranges seem to have a few issues with QA/build quality in general but that is not linked to any VM issues. Both these things seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

Or am I missing something here?

0 Kudos