Menu
gmatthe5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What happens to landline wall socket with new hub 3

Hello all,

Hope you can advise me. My parents have virgin TV and a phone line (via a BT style wall socket). I have encouraged them to add broadband to make use of the smart features of a new TV I have ordered for them. The new Hub 3 is being delivered tomorrow.

Question: when I activate the hub for Broadband will the existing landline connection via the wall socket become inactive? 

I am hoping not as I have an extension off the existing wall socket.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What happens to landline wall socket with new hub 3

@gmatthe5 

As I understand it all new VM installations come with the telephone line via the Hub.  However as this is not a new installation but an addition of broadband to an existing connection it may be that the current setup for the telephone line will continue.

In any case if the change does result in the telephone being switched to the Hub VM can connect it into an existing extension network, although this will need an engineer visit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gmatthe5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham,

Guess I'll have to wait and see. If the landline wall socket does become inactive when will that happen. At the start of the new contract or only when I plug in and activate the hub? Just concerned that my elderly parents may loose their landline without warning.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that.

I can understand your anxiety about elderly parents losing landline access.

The VM Forum Team staff should be back in the morning to advise you further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe a response was given on another post that migration of all VMs lines will happen within the next 18 months. The account holder should receive a letter a few months in advance of the switchover with details of how to order an adapter for the back of the hub & instructions about situations where you might need technical assistance re: an engineer visit.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

gmatthe5
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd,

So as there has been no letter from VM to advise of a landline switch over. I will assume that adding broadband to my parents package (addition of hub 3) will not have any impact on the existing phone line connection (currently via a wall socket).

Regards.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi gmatthe5,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry for any confusion regarding the line, I'm happy to check this for you. 

I'll just need a few details from you first, I've sent you a private message for this (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
gmatthe5
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For anyone interested. It has been confirmed that adding broadband to my parents existing telephone plus TV package will not disable the telephone wall socket for the time being. I understand this will happen in the future with Virgins global telephone switch over.