Menu
ay224uk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Website says I can't receive Virgin but I (think) I have existing infrastructure

Hello,

Just moved house. Had tried to move existing 'fibre to cabinet' broadband service but Openreach say their cabinet is at capacity, so copper broadband only and they seem unsure about that for some reason!

Keen to get faster service so tried Virgin....

There is some existing cable infrastructure to the property. See attached images which I believe are Virgin's. There is a CATV manhole a couple of meters from our front door. A cable pops up from the footpath and runs to the front wall. A brown box (missing cover) with black cable and isolator(?) is attached to the front wall of the house. A white cable then runs into the house and terminates inside in a splitter unit. Can anyone confirm this is Virgin equipment by inspection of the photos? It looks old!

I tried checking the service availability at address on the Virgin website but it says the service is not available. I checked using other addresses, one of our neighbours 3 doors down would be able to access the service - this property has direct access to the public highway. Others addresses either side of us would not according to the Virgin website. Our property is on a small grass square off of the adopted highway. 

Is it possible that Virgin don't know they have infrastructure already installed? Or is this old infrastructure which is no longer useable for technical or land access issues? Is there anyway of checking this. 

Any help greatly appreciated, our old service provider had assured me of service by 23rd Dec but this is now looking much later. My wife is a secondary school teacher and needs to be online by the 4th Jan as she will likely be teaching online, and at the moment we just have a 4g mobile data hub.

Thanks in advance for any help possible. 

Al

External wall mounted box - cover missingExternal wall mounted box - cover missingCoax cable termination - inside homeCoax cable termination - inside homeExternal run to edge of boundaryExternal run to edge of boundaryManhole in public realm (green outside house) - local authority land but might not be part of highwayManhole in public realm (green outside house) - local authority land but might not be part of highway

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Website says I can't receive Virgin but I (think) I have existing infrastructure

Hello ay224uk

Thanks for your post 

This would indeed be our cabling 

Have you checked your address here yet

Right now we are very busy and not sure if we can get you installed before Christmas

But if you cabn send me your details 

Name 

Contact number 

Address 

By private message I can check this for you

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Website says I can't receive Virgin but I (think) I have existing infrastructure

Thanks for passing security ay224uk

I have had a check on the address and its is showing a capacity issue 

But if you call us on 0800 183 1234, a member of our Sales Team can look into this  for you #

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
ay224uk
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Apparently the network is at capacity in the area and no new customers are being taken on. Thanks for your assistance -  v quick and helpful.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey ay224uk

Thanks for the reply 

Sorry that is the case. 

Id try calling that number again in a few months to see if anything has changed 

Or pop back on here and we can check again 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos