cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vulnerable Customer Landline not dialing out

randnet
Joining in

My frail 97 year old grandmother who live alone has a virgin landline. She can receive calls but cannot make outbound calls. Her emergency fall button still works so that seems to use a SIM rather than the landline to make a call, however she cannot make outbound calls to anyone. This is really important for her to keep in touch with friends and family and for emergencies. 

Any attempt to make a call goes to customer services but my grandmother doesn't know her security question memorable word so we can't complete verification. As such I can't talk to customer help.

I need someone that can help urgently remove the outbound call ability on her landline and help us setup security for her so that I can call on her behalf in future and get her registered as a vulnerable customer.

I appreciate the need for account security but in this case it is hindering getting an important landline workong.

The approach of blocking outbound calls to get customers attention is poorly thought out when some of your customers rely on their landline so much. A letter would also work. 

Can someone please advise urgently how I can help my grandmother get back to making calls. She hasn't been able to make calls for over a week, so I also expect her to receive some sort of compensation since her service is being forcibly removed against her consent and putting her wellbeing at risk.

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you can access your grandmother's 'My Virgin Media' account, you should be able to reset the telephone security question as per info below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Cancellation/m-p/5223354

Your description of outgoing calls being routed to customer services sounds like VM is trying to carry out the phone switchover (from conventional landline to a connection from the back of the hub). They claim they do this when they have not received any comm's from the customer to arrange a tech visit but plenty of topics on here mention they have not received any VM contact or your grandmother may have been sent the info and not understood the proposed move.

Hope you can resolve the issue for her.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Randnet, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community.

We are very sorry to hear of the issues your Grandmother has been experiencing with the landline.

We would want to do all we can to help so I am going to pop you over a private message to take a few details and we can go from there. 

Speak soon, 

Nat