cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voip

terr-virg-hlp-1
Tuning in

I have just been 'Forcibly' converted to VOIP and 21CV (Whatever that is). 

I know the disadvantages- No telephone during 'Outages' or power failure.

What are the Advantages , if any, and why am I still be forced to pay for a copper landline 'rental' when I can no longer use it?

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @terr-virg-hlp-1 thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised here.

As part of the changeover, all providers in the UK are changing to this by the end of 2025. For more information on the benefits and changes of 21CV, please see here.

In terms of line rental, although we have made changes to the way the landline is implemented inside of the customers property, the infrastructure and services required previously are still required, this is why we still charge a line rental.

Many thanks

Tom_W

terr-virg-hlp-1
Tuning in

As my wife has medical needs, she often gets calls from medical personnel, who for obvious reasons , do not give their number,(Number Withheld) I read (not sure where), that VOIP automatically bars calls that do this - Is this correct?, if so how can I get round it?

21CV = 21st century voice (just a meaningless marketing term)

The 21CV connection is not a full VOIP connection it is just a means to connect an ordinary phone to the hub. This is a 'halfway' measure before the existing exchanges are closed down by 2025. At some point suppliers may move to full VOIP services for residential customers.

What are the advantages ... ? For the customer, at present, I can't think of any!

For the telecoms companies they can decommission a load of elderly equipment and migrate to a VOIP infrastructure for the future. As/when/if a full VOIP service is offered to residential customers then there may be some cost savings (if the telecoms companies pass those on) as well as additional features and services for the customer.

'Line rental' fell out of use around 2016 when providers could no longer use the terminology in their advertising. You now pay for a bundle of services (which may include a landline). It's up to the customer to pick the bundle which best suits their needs/budget.

As I understand it the anonymous caller rejection (ACR), which blocks unknown and withheld numbers, is a feature than can be activated on the 21CV lines (in some past material I have read it was free on a 21CV line but the current phone price guide lists it at £2.70 p.m.) but it is off by default for the reasons you have stated in blocking healthcare providers who may withhold their number.

Thank you for your query. Was the great advice given by @goslow useful? Do you need any further help? 

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@terr-virg-hlp-1 wrote:

As my wife has medical needs, she often gets calls from medical personnel, who for obvious reasons , do not give their number,(Number Withheld) I read (not sure where), that VOIP automatically bars calls that do this - Is this correct?, if so how can I get round it?

I’m on 21CV, & withheld numbers are not blocked unless you choose to do so.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

VM's VOIP is totally misleading marketing.

Customers are only able to us an analogue telephone instrument.