Menu
Finchbee
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VoIP purple zone

I am in the purple zone and apparently can get voip. Can I use this to replace the landline? I would like to remove the phone as it causes WiFi interference and there is no where else for landline to go

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: VoIP purple zone

Hello

If you are already in purple then surely the phone already plugs into the hub ?

The service that VM offer through the hub is called 21CV it isn't a pure VOIP system, and that would require that a standard phone is plugged into the hub, it is still classed as a standard landline as all the hub does is convert a standard analog phone allowing the signal to go down the coaxial line instead of the copper cable.

VM normally set this up for new users or if there is a standard copper line fault, if none of these apply then they would charge you £99 to do the switch as you will need and engineer to do the switch.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Finchbee
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes the phone plugs into the hub but that’s my issue. I don’t want the phone next to the hub and am now limited because it’s connected by the coax they put in

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you have no option. VM are not installing old phone lines anymore. All phone providers are moving to VOIP (CV21) services.
You would need to install a phone extension from the hib to where you need the phone or use a cordless phone with 2+ base stations so you can have one of the extra handsets anywhere and leave the main one with the hub
0 Kudos
Finchbee
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That wasnt my question. I know I can have a cordless phone but thats what I want to change. I was asking how is best to get VOIP to work

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You don't have VoIP as you'd think it is. Your phone service delivered by carrier grade IP telephone to a port on the back of your Hub.

Past that it acts like any other standard landline - with the exception that it won't work if the Hub isn't on and working.

So if you want to move the base unit of a DECT phone system away from the Hub, you can use any plug-in telephone extension pack e.g. a reel extension.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos