cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP phones on Virgin through Hub 4...

adelphiaUK
Up to speed

I have just switched to Virgin on the Ultimate Volt bundle and have everything working EXCEPT my VoIP phones.

I have been searching for a simple answer to the question, "can you use true VoIP phones on the Virgin Media VoIP (CV21) service?" I have 2 £100+ phones which I purchased about 2 years ago when I was working in IT Consultancy,  which have all the facilities I need for a phone; shared phone book, Caller ID configuration, handset identification etc. etc.

When I took out the services with VM I was told that I would be able to use these phones on the VM VoIP service but to date, no one can give me the relevant information I need to be able to connect. 

Was I told a lie? Is the VM VoIP service, which I have since found out operates CV21 rather than a true VoIP service even capable of handling VoIP phones?

I have spent over an hour talking to 3 different people at VM from 3 different departments, I was transferred to Gadget Fix for a 2nd time but inexplicably the phone call got disconnected.

Could anyone here tell me, am I banging my head against a brick wall or can my phones actually be configured to the VM VoIP service?

I don't really want to have to buy a new set of phones...

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@adelphiaUK wrote:

I have just switched to Virgin on the Ultimate Volt bundle and have everything working EXCEPT my VoIP phones.

I have been searching for a simple answer to the question, "can you use true VoIP phones on the Virgin Media VoIP (CV21) service?" I have 2 £100+ phones which I purchased about 2 years ago when I was working in IT Consultancy,  which have all the facilities I need for a phone; shared phone book, Caller ID configuration, handset identification etc. etc.

When I took out the services with VM I was told that I would be able to use these phones on the VM VoIP service but to date, no one can give me the relevant information I need to be able to connect. 

Was I told a lie? Is the VM VoIP service, which I have since found out operates CV21 rather than a true VoIP service even capable of handling VoIP phones?

I have spent over an hour talking to 3 different people at VM from 3 different departments, I was transferred to Gadget Fix for a 2nd time but inexplicably the phone call got disconnected.

Could anyone here tell me, am I banging my head against a brick wall or can my phones actually be configured to the VM VoIP service?

Ok then in order;

I have been searching for a simple answer to the question, "can you use true VoIP phones on the Virgin Media VoIP (CV21) service?"

No you can’t

Yes you were told a lie, VM do not provide a VoIP service at all!

Indeed you are but absolutely don’t buy new phones as they won’t work either

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

52 REPLIES 52

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's home landline service via a connection from TEL1 on the back of the hub (marketing name is 21CV) is not a VOIP service.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/VOIP/m-p/4559639#M146330

Presumably at some point after switchover VM will start offering VOIP services.

The TEL1 socket is for connecting conventional POTS phones via an adapter supplied by VM.

If you want to use true VOIP phones you would need to sign up with a VOIP service provider. Don't know what the setup is for the Hub 4 but there have been plenty of past topics about being unable to use some VOIP services with hub 3's due to the inability to turn on/off a specific network feature (SIP ALG, I believe?). For some, the absence of those features meant having to use their own router and the hub in modem mode AIUI.

Don't know a great deal about VOIP myself to be able to tell you more I'm afraid. If you want some specific advice on setting up your VOIP phones on a VM broadband connection then the best place to ask any technical questions on how to do that would be in the 'Networking and Wifi' forum.

Thanks for your reply @goslow. I already have my phones setup and working (for over 4 years) without issue on an external VoIP provider but I was told, and by the looks of it misinformed, that they would work on the VM VoIP service.

I guess I have three choices; remain with my current service provider and pay the additional money for the service (one of the reasons I was switching was to reduce costs), use my current service provider as incoming only and get new phones for my VM service or ditch true VoIP altogether. Choices, choices, choices.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

As mentioned, I have limited knowledge on VOIP but if you start using your VM landline for calls then you are tethered to making/receiving those calls only at the location of the hub (unless you get into the business of call divert etc. etc. which can be costly)

Also check out VM's call charges

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/mobile-browse/downloads/010420_Eve...

which are ridiculously high and also limited to 60 min before having to redial to avoid being charged.

I accidentally dialled out the other day outside of my 'free' time (it was no more than connecting the call and immediately hanging up it) and that cost me 42p!

I have talk unlimited (another perk of Ultimate Volt) so calling shouldn't be a problem although the nice thing about the SIP service I have is unlimited call time with no restriction on call time before having to redial.

I think that's the option I'm going to go with and as I'm still in my 14 day cool off, I'll ditch the VM line altogether, if I can.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

jem101
Superstar

@adelphiaUK wrote:

Ok then in order;

I have been searching for a simple answer to the question, "can you use true VoIP phones on the Virgin Media VoIP (CV21) service?"

No you can’t

Yes you were told a lie, VM do not provide a VoIP service at all!

Indeed you are but absolutely don’t buy new phones as they won’t work either

Thanks @jem101 for the item by item diagnostic.

Since originally posting and learning quite a bit more about this "VoIP" service I have decided to keep my current service and intend calling VMCS tomorrow to get this sorted. I am still in my 14 day cool off period so there shouldn't be any issue.

However, I may find that by taking my phone side portion off my package it makes the price go up or the reduction is so negligible then I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

Hi adelphiaUK,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, please have a word with the team and they will be able to see what the best package is with or without the phone< please let us know how you get on?

Regards

Paul.

I called the (post)installation support team and, as expected the cost for my package would increase with the removal of the phone line. Therefore I have decided to leave it as is and try to get my VoIP number transferred (which is already in hand).

Not the scenario I wanted / expected but it will be something I sure I shall (hopefully) become accustomed to.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)

Hi adelphiaUK,

Thank you for the update, are you transferring the number over to us as a port in request?

Regards

Paul.