Menu
Badger1966
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VoIP, can I?

If I buy a landline phone with VoIP capability, can I actually use that capability? If so, what do I need to do. If not, when can I? After spending longer than you can imagine on the phone to VM, and getting nowhere, I thought I would try here.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VoIP, can I?

Hello

Yes you can but from Virginmedia it is not an option you will have to look at taking out a contract with a VOIP provider https://www.amvia.co.uk/blog/list-of-voip-providers-uk

The setup of this would be down to yourself, but basically the phone will connect to your broadband connection, and would have to be configured to use the settings from the VOIP provider, there is one thing to note and that if your broadband is down so is your phone.

What Virginmedia is 21CV that uses a standard phone but instead of using a separate cable the signal is converted to digital and sent down the same cable as the broadband. In fact by end of 2025 all telephone providers will be offering this form of telephone connection.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Badger1966
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks DJ, 

I was hoping to go to VoIP to save money. We have Talk More International Anytime as my wife calls relatives in other countries. That service costs an extra £15 and the VoIP operators seem to be about half that upwards and so not really saving much if anything. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Unless there are noticeable improvements or reasons going to VoIP that is. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is no real advantage to using a VoIP provider unless like me, you are operating two or more lines. Yes, being with VM does mean you can port to landline to a VoIP provider (I use Vonage, as they provide an adapter box for your existing landline phone). The advantage with this is that you can plug into any internet hub & use it straight away, no matter what internet provider or location. The downside is you lose the multi service discount on the phone line, so your Broadband price goes up. Second lines are not discounted on VM, so you can pay less than half price by moving these lines to VoIP.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks