Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin to virgin number port

Hi

Is it possible to port my old landline telephone number (it was disconnected from the Virgin network yesterday) to a new account with a doxis telephone line? The new account is in my name, the old one in my ex's.

I opened a new account as there previous account holder (my ex has left the property)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin to virgin number port

it's far better to port the number before the service is dicontinued, once the account is closed it goes back into Virgins number pool, it may not be possible to get it back now

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you had done an account transfer rather than closing the account & opening a new one you could have kept the number automatically.

AFAIK under the current number porting rules when an account in an individual’s name is closed the number must be given up, whether it originated with the current provider or was ported from a previous one. Opening a new account in a different name does not entitle you to the same number.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding with what seems to make some sense. 

I've been to and for with Virgin customer services which honestly there is only one word for- diabolical. By way of example, I have been told that even though I can no longer make or receive calls on the old line since yesterday, it's not due for disconnection till tomorrow and that I should call back tomorrow when they will arrange to port the number (once disconnected).  That sounded ludicrous even to me.

You can never get through to anyone that speaks native English and no one has any initiative. May as well all be robots and so many bloody departments, no one can do more than one task. So infuriating!!

Getting the new line activated was a whole 'nother palava. 

Worst company for Customer service I've ever come across.

Anyway, currently I can receive incoming calls on the old line, but can't hear the person. Yet, there's no dial tone when I try & make outgoing calls. And apparently my line isn't disconnecting till tomorrow.

I'm beyond fuming as many care companies & the doctor etc use this telephone number to keep in touch with my elderly parents who live with me. I desperately want to keep the number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SameraYounis,

Welcome to forums, I hope you enjoy our community and thank you for your first post 🙂

I am sorry about the customer service you have received and that you are having issues with your landline. I am more than happy to look into this for you. I will pop you a private message so we can go over some account security. Just keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Many thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello everyone

Just a quick update, I've got a kind member- Zoie- helping me with this problem, were just waiting on a technical team within Virgin Media to take a look at the issue to see if it can be resolved. I'll update you when I have any further information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've been told today, after weeks of trying,  that Virgin dont allow you to transfer numbers across accounts, that i can i like it lump it. That would have been fine so long as i hadnt been promised that it was possible when i opened my account.

I've wasted countless hours on the phone with advisors (most of it on hold) talking to a call centre based in India where, as well-meaning as they may be, they have no clue, such poor training and so difficult to communicate through their thick Indian accents.

The only native English speakers i came across are in sales to give the (rather deceitful) impression that advisors are based in the UK.

On multiple occasions I've had the phone hung up on me because I've gotten frustrated or might have asked a difficult question (does no one monitior this? Clearly Virgin thinks it's okay for their call handlers to just hang up on customers ...its becoming routine)

I have wasted so many days on the phone now being transferred from department to department of incompetent people, told outright lies to fob me off, given misleading information, told id get a callback only to never hear from that person again.

I even had a call from the "chief exec's office" .... only to never hear from that person again. So i guess it really is leading by example. They call from a non-specific number so it's impossible for you to call anyone back.

No one takes ownership of an issue and the customer is like a ping pong ball getting batted around one clueless department to another (I've literally had an advisor say"i don't know why I've been passed this to call you...")!

I've had 3 routers in the past month and half without any guidance necessitating a change in all my family's passwords and on all the other gadgets in the house, the family are soo annoyed, i could cry at the number of times I've put in this awkward password into various devices. And I've not even got round to changing my number at the doctors and kids' schools, the vet, the gas and electric company etc. yet.

On top of this, apparently Virgin only offer telephone lines that plug into the router to new customers. This means if your internet goes down (frequently the case with Virgin I've found) then your phone goes dead- you can't call the Emergency services, no ambulance, police or fire fighters. Cheers Virgin, I'll just burn to death. And yes- you came to install an emergency backup line- but guess what.... bingo! - it doesn't work. And when i tried to call to tell you, i had to give up after waiting on hold for 40 minutes.

Moral if the story: avoid Virgin if you want to take your phone number across with you....
and God help you if you need any help through customer services.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar position.

Wish I'd never left Sky.

0 Kudos