cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin to sky phone line porting

Annoyed10
Joining in

Good Afternoon!

I was wondering if any knowledgeable persons would be able to help ?

I switch over to Sky in October last year and whilst ending my contract I was advised I would need the phone line porting.

When the Sky engineer arrived I explained the phone line would need to be ported or or would still be charged and was assured it would be done.

Unfortunately, I have still been getting billed from Virgin. Spoke to Sky who have told me it had been done and they had send the relevant emails to virgin.

I looked over my old contract with virgin and i have a different phone number on my sky account.

If Sky had ported the phone line would I have still kept the same phone number or gained a new one ?

Just trying to work out who's at fault.

Many Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone’s telling porkies here.

Phone porting requests are not done by email exchanges. They go through an internal system that all telcos have. I doubt that Sky actually requested the number, & as VM operates on their own network with their own exchanges, Sky do not take over the physical infrastructure that VM was using.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Annoyed10, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

Once the number is ported the line would cease and the number would be taken away from Virgin and there would need to a number on the line for it to remain active and as they have not ported the number the line would remain active until you tell us that the number is no longer needed. ^Chris. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone’s telling porkies here.

Phone porting requests are not done by email exchanges. They go through an internal system that all telcos have. I doubt that Sky actually requested the number, & as VM operates on their own network with their own exchanges, Sky do not take over the physical infrastructure that VM was using.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Once I requested I would like to cancel my contract Virgin advised that it would need porting and that Sky would need to do it.

Spoke to Sky and they replied saying it would be Virgin responsible to do it ?!?

So should it have been done by Virgin after the installation date which Virgin was aware of ?

ManyvThanks again.

Hi @Annoyed10 thanks for getting back to us.

If you were wishing to take your number from ourselves to Sky, then they would have had to arrange it from their side.  However, I would like to take a look at your account on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Annoyed10 ,thanks for getting back to me privately.  
This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Wendye1960-1 

Contact you new provider and advise them that you want to port your phone number across to them from VM.

They will then place a request with VM asking them to transfer the number across. Providing you are staying in the same area this shouldn't be a problem, but the phone line with VM must still be active and not have a cancellation request placed on it or it will fail to port.

Your new phone provider would issue you with a temporary number until the port is completed and then it would be changed to your current VM phone number. Once the number has ported that would cancel your VM landline.

You would still need to contact VM and give them 30 days notice to cancel any other services that you have with VM.  If the number transfer is going to plan  your new provider should be able give you an activation date for when the transfer will complete, so it should then be safe to cancel the remainder of your VM services

For peace of mind though I would suggest you do this after your landline has been switched over as there have been instances in the past where the landline has been cancelled before the switch has completed, or VM have been unable to port the number because it already had a cancellation marker placed on it.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Wendye1960-1 👋 welcome back to the community forum!

Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear that you have not had the best experience with us! If you are needing some more support with this please let us know and we will be happy to offer further support. 

The advice above from Newapollo is all completely correct in terms of number porting. This is mentioned in the FAQ's section on our cancellation information page here 👉 How to cancel Virgin Media broadband & TV | Virgin Media Help

Please do let us know if we can offer further help with the reasons you are thinking of leaving! We are here to help. 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Thanks a lot newapollo it’s very similar to porting a mobile number then I’ve done that more recently (about 11 years ago I think) I still haven’t decided what to do just a little too stressed out about it to think straight need to give it another day or so I think.

Thanks Molly I have posted a little about it in another thread I’m a little stressed about it at the minute and need to calm that down to think rationally but I will say having at least 5 hours on the phone - most of that time on hold hasn’t helped and particularly the attitude of an individual in what was supposed to be retentions.  I ended up hanging up on him him as he wasn’t listening to me and I’d had enough after an hour and a half over 2 calls - the first one cut me off when I was supposed to have been transferred back from technical to retentions.  I need to give it some thought.