cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin cut off my landline & lost my number!

Fai62
Tuning in

Long rant alert** hoping this has happened to someone else and they have been able to resolve it!

We had multiple calls at the start of the year saying we had to switch to fibre broadband. A lot of the time i was away so missed their calls, i finally managed to answer one of their calls and it was arranged for 27th March for the switch to be done remotely. 
I hadn't noticed until few days after the switch our homephone had stopped working and the number had been disconnected. I tried calling Virgin but never got through to a real person and it always randomly cut off. I finally managed to get in touch via their whatsapp message option and was told our landline had indeed been cut off by mistake and we had to start a new contract to regain access to our landline!!!

But apparently since i left it so late to contact them i had to pay £35 for a new hub/router which otherwise would have been free if sorted when they originally tried to get hold of me. Fine i thought, if it meant sorting out my landline with the number I've had for 15+ years ill just pay the £35 and be done with it. 

The new hub arrived on Friday and i set it all up following the instructions, plugging the home phone line into the new hub instead of the wall socket like before. I tried calling the homephone and it still said “number not recognised” but the wifi worked so thought nothing of it. Maybe it just needed some time to transfer over. 

Then today i rang to explain my landline was STILL not working and the lovely gent on the end of the phone did his best to sort out my problem. However after staying on hold for a few minutes whilst he “transferred the number over” i was told he couldn’t find the number on the system anymore!!! He said the numbers either been assigned to another new customer or its been wiped from the system altogether and there was nothing he could do! I think its the latter as i still get “the number has not been recognised” when i call it. He told me the only thing i could do is to keep try calling in hope the number becomes free again, the number I’ve had for the last 15+ years, with everything registered to it. What a SHAMBLES! 

Forced me to switch and had to pay an extra £35 all to lose my number and cause copious amounts of stress. Cheers Virgin! Hoping someone has experienced similar and has resolved it!

12 REPLIES 12

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your time via PM @Fai62 

I'm pleased your number has now been retrieved. If I can help with anything else, please do let me know.

Have a lovely weekend!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks again for you and the teams help. Just so everyone in the same position knows, one of the guys from the complaints team called and not only did he refund the £35 which shouldn't of been charged, he also managed to retrieve my number for me. Big relief and a big thanks to the team!

Glad it's all sorted now @Fai62 🙌

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs