cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Telephone Service Switchover

TE27Rolla
Joining in

I have a Yale Home Alarm that connects to my phone line via an extension as well as a home telephone. Despite discussing my current equipment with Virgin they have sent me just a single adapter to connect a single phone to my router.

I could not get a coherent response from Virgin as to how to connect the alarm. Common sense tells me that if I plug the Virgin adapter into the router then use a splitter I could connect both devices to my phone line.

My question is to do this i will need to purchase a line splitter and I presume an extension lead for my phone and alarm as neither are anywhere near my router. Could someone who knows about telecoms cables advise what type of cable and splitter I would need to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets (and alarm connection) via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, TE27Rolla.
Thank you for reaching out on our help forums and welcome back to the community.

We're sorry to see the confusion caused by the alarm set up after the landline switchover to our fibre network, we'd love to best assist with this.

Apologies as well for the poor info and communication shared by our support channels so far in regard to the line migration, we're eager to arrange an engineer visit for you so we can ensure the right set up due to this change.

You may have a read here on how we can support you with this process.

Regarding the alarm you refer to as well as any equipment that connects to your landline, we can support you by offering help with the install and make sure all your devices using the line work fine.

I will send you a PM shortly so we can check the details on the account and book you in.
Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a little white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs