cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Landline Noise On All Calls

SteiffCollector
Joining in

I have terrible noise on all calls, both outgoing and incoming on my Virgin Media landline.

I changed cables, tried a filter, changed the actual telephone several times, all made no difference!

Had a few engineer visits, each of a varying degree of satisfaction, no difference at all.

No one could find any faults, both locally and remotely.

Recently had yet another engineer out, this time it was a guy who has previously been to my home for a separate matter and I remember how impressed I was with him, so ever hopefull, I fully explained everything to him, including the previous engineer visits and he set to investigate.

No faults inside, so progressed outside to the point of feed bringing the service into the house, bingo! Less than 10 minutes later, he came back in to show me a short length of two thin wires, attached to a connector block. Both wires had significant amounts of plastic shielding missing, revealing the inner metal core! As he said, this is almost certainly why the line is so noisy! So it was replaced with new wire etc, see what happens.

Fixed! Totally silent line, as it should have been from day 1, unbelievable! As to why not one of the previous engineers even thought to check there, I'll never understand! They each went from indoors to the street junction box!

Only other very weird problem I've had for years on my Virgin Media landline is that every now and then, when making a call out, using telephone numbers previously dialled successfully, the line tells me ' sorry, the number you have dialled has not been recognised, please check and try again '!!!

What's going on? Of course the numbers correct, I've used the same number before, on the same handset on the same line!

Yet here's the thing, try reporting it! Despite line checks, engineer visits, online chat sessions etc etc, not one single person has been able to resolve it!

21st century technology and they can't get a landline to function correctly!

RIDICULOUS!!!!

5 REPLIES 5

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SteiffCollector 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

I'm sorry to hear that your landline fault was not located sooner by the other engineer. Happy that it has now been resolved for you and your calls are no longer noisy.

Regarding your other concern, when you dial numbers and it advises the number cannot be recognised. Are you physically dialing the number or are you using a feature on your handset to select a previously dialled number?  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thank you for your reply.
I tend to get the number has not been recognised audio message when I use the previously dialled call list, so re-dial last number, but this also happens when I dial the number from the stored contact list, numbers saved in the phone.

It's very odd how one time everything works as expected, yet another time the above fault occurs!

It is odd. 

So it happens we you also manually type in the number as well as when you select from a menu or call history list?

Can you advise what kind of handset you have? And we'll investigate further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

As previously mentioned, it happens when I use last number re-dial and when selecting the number from my contact list.
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the handset model though, as I have been experiencing this same issue using several different makes/models of handsets!
I am currently using a Siemens Gigaset SL910A.

Hi @SteiffCollector,

Thank you for expanding and clarifying, and apologies again for the ongoing landline noise issues you're experiencing. So that we can investigate and assist you further, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments.

Please respond to this when you can and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!