cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Dual Cable Connection Question?

saltyseadog
On our wavelength

Long time Virgin customer here. I just signed up to the Gig1 + Landline package finally getting rid of the unwanted tv pack.  The new Hub 5 box arrived on time and everything connected well at the first attempt.

While packaging the Tivo box for the returns driver I found the unused cable which had been sent with a previous contract iirc. This is a dual broadband and TV signal cable approx 2mtr long with a rectangular box 2" x 1" on one end and a male socket which connects to the wall with a blue and yellow push socket for connecting to the tv and router. There is also and thinner cable in a loop clipped onto the outside of the little box with an rjb45 network I think connection at each end. It was no good to us at the time as the Tivo and TV were downstairs while the Virgin Hub 3.0 router was upstairs in my office and I just used the previous wiring set up to connect the Tivo box.

As I have often thought of moving the router to a better position in the room but have been held up in this as the broadband wire was at full stretch where it was. As an experiment I coupled the broadband section of the cable between the existing cable and the router giving me approx 6' of play to move the router where I wanted it, This worked fine but I disconnected it all again as firstly the unused TV cable and the rjb45 loop were pretty untidy and I was also worried whether it was okay in the long term. My question is, is it okay to use it as an extension in this way and if so would it make any difference whether I just used the broadband wire from the box and clipped the rest away?.

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
  1. If it works, carry on.  I doubt if 2M of extra cable will send the power levels out of spec.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply Adduxi, I was more interested in whether it would make any difference if I cut off the unnecessary  TV and loop cable for neatness sake as I have no need for them?.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hmm, cutting cables always runs the risk of shorting out somewhere.  The shielding wires are very thin and could easily touch some other inner part of the cable.  Best just to tape this double cable together ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A good way of tidying up a bundle of audio-visual cables can sometimes be with some braided cable sleeve.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/braided-cable-sleeve/s?k=braided+cable+sleeve

palcouk
On our wavelength

I have a Hub 4 router installed in my study but purchased from a third party WiFi mesh units (3) which means I get a v.good WiFi connection throughout the house and garden