cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP

Indiechuck
Tuning in

Hi there

How do I go about swapping out my old standard phone for a VOIP set up? I use the Hub 3.0 as a bridge to my Ubiquiti Unifi network.

Thanks for any advice, I currently have the phone line with 'Talk More Anytime' as part of my TV/Broadband package (Maxit TV and M600 broadband).

With best wishes

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Indiechuck and welcome to the community.

Thanks for showing interest in our voip services, unfortunately we cannot raise the request for you to have this done here as we cannot arrange any sort of package changes. I have been able to check your account and can see that the service is available in your area, so there should be no problem in getting your landline migrated over.

Please could you call our home phone switch over team on 0800 0529 425 and we can get this looked into further for you and raise the necessary requests.

Regards

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Indiechuck wrote:

Hi there

How do I go about swapping out my old standard phone for a VOIP set up? I use the Hub 3.0 as a bridge to my Ubiquiti Unifi network.

Thanks for any advice, I currently have the phone line with 'Talk More Anytime' as part of my TV/Broadband package (Maxit TV and M600 broadband).

With best wishes

Just to point out that Virgin’s hub based telephone service is NOT VoIP. The calls do not use the internet, just a dedicated frequency from the hub 3 phone line sockets direct to the local fibre node. Calls are still routed through Virgin’s headend telephone exchanges at the moment. The sockets will only work with standard landline phones, not VoIP ones.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Neither Virgin nor any other telco provider have any VoIP services. If you want VoIP then you will have to port out to Sipgate & the like, using a VoIP phone connected to an Ethernet port on your router.

All providers will eventually go to hub based phones, as BT are looking at closing all their analogue exchanges by the end of 2025.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

6 REPLIES 6

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Indiechuck and welcome to the community.

Thanks for showing interest in our voip services, unfortunately we cannot raise the request for you to have this done here as we cannot arrange any sort of package changes. I have been able to check your account and can see that the service is available in your area, so there should be no problem in getting your landline migrated over.

Please could you call our home phone switch over team on 0800 0529 425 and we can get this looked into further for you and raise the necessary requests.

Regards

Steven_L

Thanks a mil Steve, will do

Have a lovely weekend

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Indiechuck wrote:

Hi there

With best wishes

Just to point out that Virgin’s hub based telephone service is NOT VoIP. The calls do not use the internet, just a dedicated frequency from the hub 3 phone line sockets direct to the local fibre node. Calls are still routed through Virgin’s headend telephone exchanges at the moment. The sockets will only work with standard landline phones, not VoIP ones.

Dear @nodrogd

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Yes indeed 'VoIP' via the Superhub is not a true internet service but I gather that using the Hub in modem mode, which I do with my Ubiquiti set up, should allow a genuine service. Such providers as Sipgate offer a stand alone service but I wondered if Virgin offered something similar? They operate a business version and so I wondered if they have any option to use such a facility for a residential account.

I'd rather keep everything Virginmedia, but VoIP is the way to go I feel. I will probably have to look to a different VoIP supplier if the option for a Virginmedia setup is not there, although Steve has suggested it may be, in the first comment to my post.

Thanks again @nodrogd, have a lovely evening

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Neither Virgin nor any other telco provider have any VoIP services. If you want VoIP then you will have to port out to Sipgate & the like, using a VoIP phone connected to an Ethernet port on your router.

All providers will eventually go to hub based phones, as BT are looking at closing all their analogue exchanges by the end of 2025.

Thanks again @nodrogd, so helpful.

I'd read about 2025 for BT.

Virginmedia business do genuine VoIP though, including trunking and cloud stuffs etc-guess the domestic market has to catch up.