cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP - relocating superhub for landline

mhatter
Dialled in

I got the text message about VOIP switchover for VM landlines yesterday, but it is not that straight forward for me. WE have two connections from outside coming into our house with the router one in my bedroom and the landline and TV connected in the living room with the old style landline socket at the side to plug in our phone.

The only way around this I can see (I don't want the landline in my bedroom) this is relocation of our superhub to the living room and use the Wifi on my Superhub 4 for the desktop computer in my bedroom.

Can this relocation work be done for free or do I have to pay for this hub relocation?

Thanks for your help in advance

Best

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mhatter
Dialled in

Update:  The engineer came round on Friday and the only option available to us was relocating the superhub to the living room where our landline and v6 situated.

My desktop in the bedroom is happily running off WiFi and the engineer (who was very helpful) even upgraded our landline to VoIP on the visit 👍🏻

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mhatter,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with setting up your fibre landline connection

If you're struggling to connect your landline to your Hub with the adaptor, we can have a technician arranged to have this looked into and ensure that your landline is working and set up correctly free of charge.

Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in arranging so that I can help further if needed.

Thank you! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina,

I have not got the adapter yet for my landline, this is preparation work I need done in advance as I do not want my landline phone connected in the bedroom where my router is currently located, I need my superhub router relocated to my living room where my landline is by an engineer.

Best

Mark

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mhatter,

Thanks for coming back to me about this. If you're happy to, I can arrange for a technician appointment to install your new fibre landline service and have the engineer ensure that your landline and Hub are in the best available place for calls.

Would that be something you'd want to arrange, or would you like to wait for the adaptor first?

Thank you. 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Hi Pauline,

Happy for an engineer to come in, as the "The Hub and our home phone are not placed placed near each other"

Best

Mark

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the update. In order to process this we would need to bring you into a private message so that we can get some details from you and make the arrangements needed. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina

mhatter
Dialled in

Update:  The engineer came round on Friday and the only option available to us was relocating the superhub to the living room where our landline and v6 situated.

My desktop in the bedroom is happily running off WiFi and the engineer (who was very helpful) even upgraded our landline to VoIP on the visit 👍🏻

Hi Mark, thank you for the update. That's great to hear 😀

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel