cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP and hub

puffernutter
On our wavelength

I'm soon to get an adapter! It's not actually convenient to have my phone near the hub, so can I use an extension cable in the RJ45  to move the phone to somewhere more convenient? 

I have looked through the FAQs and here and don't see this question asked.

Cheers

Peter

7 REPLIES 7

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @puffernutter 

Thank you for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not finding the new phone system to be convenient. We would recommend that you can get your Hub relocated with an engineer to a more suitable location, or you can use a cordless phone. 

Thank you.

Not possible I'm afraid, the hub is in the ideal position, however we have a hands free and the basestation, if sited near the hub will give poor coverage through the house.

Cheers

Peter

The phone will plug into the smaller RJ11 socket of the Hub ( not the RJ45 network ports ).

An RJ11 or even a BT style telephone extender cable could be used to get the phone to a convenient point.

Thank you for popping back to us @puffernutter and I am so sorry these are not suitable options and thank you to Client62 for their help and advice. 

We would recommend a wired extension as the next option to have the phone in another location.

All, thanks. Sorry, yes RJ11, not RJ45! 

A wired extension it is then. I wasn't sure if cable length would be an issue. Obviously not!

I'll get the cable laid ready for the "great day" 😀 (although compared to the availability (including power supply at the exchange) of the wired network, I'm not convinced how "great" this change will be!

Peter

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@puffernutter wrote:

I'm soon to get an adapter! It's not actually convenient to have my phone near the hub, so can I use an extension cable in the RJ45  to move the phone to somewhere more convenient? 

I have looked through the FAQs and here and don't see this question asked.

Cheers

Peter

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Thank you @puffernutter please do let us know how things go when the change over is actioned and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks again.