Menu
Marky3000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Using BT sockets

Hi - I have just moved and have a new Hub 3. The virgin home phone connects to this. There is also a hub set up with the old BT landline that connects to various rooms in the house so landlines can be plugged in there. For various reasons, a cordless phone is not an option. 

Is there any way to connect the router to the BT hub so that the extension sockets in the other rooms in the house can be used? 

I know I can use a similar method to use Ethernet ports around the house (by connecting the router to an Ethernet port and using a hub to ‘distribute’ wired internet to the rest of the sockets ) but I’m not sure how it works for phone lines. For example, could I somehow connect the Virgin router to one of the BT sockets and then use the hub to distribute that to the other sockets?

Thank you!! 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using BT sockets

Hello

Virginmedia can put in an extension from the  hub to a standard VM branded phone socket, from that point it would be down to yourself to disconnect the extensions from the BT master socket and then you can connect them to the extension that VM have installed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Marky3000
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much Mike. So essentially there would have to be a cable from the virgin hub to the cupboard where the BT master socket is, and the new virgin socket would be become a master socket for the rest of the house, to which a phone hub would be connected? Unfortunately the virgin engineer did not offer that option and just said that we might be able to connect the router to an existing extension which would connect to the phone hub and then to the rest of the extensions. Are you saying that that suggestion simply could not work ? 

If I did need to get a virgin socket installed, would virgin charge me?

Many thanks again. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

When yoou  had your install you if you asked the engineer he would have installed the extension but would depend on distance as the kit they use is only short, you can purchase your own cable / extension box with the correct connector to plug into the hub / adapter of the  hub, some like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-10m-Telephone-Phone-Extension-Cable-Plug-to-Socket-with-Copper-Cond...

It will not be a master socket as you can only have one master per line and in your case the  hub is the master socket.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Marky3000
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for your quick response! So just to be clear (as I am not very technical!), I would need to connect from the Virgin Router to a new virgin phone socket (which takes the place of the old BT master socket), and then make sure that the new virgin phone socket itself connects to a phone hub which then connects to all the other sockets in the house? 

Or are you saying that I could bypass the need for a new virgin phone socket by somehow connecting the Virgin router directly to the phone hub I already have? 

many thanks 

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There was a recent past post about this here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Anyway-to-use-existing-extensions-in-hous...

which goes into some detail about what you are trying to achieve.

0 Kudos
Marky3000
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! I didn’t find that on my searches. 

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Marky3000

Can I please ask if you have had any luck since your last post setting this up

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Marky3000
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth - no not yet. It turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be and I think I will need an expert to assist. Thanks for asking! 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to the thread Marky3000,

I'd like to take a closer look into this for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn