cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted update

Gazzz
Tuning in

Hello,

Recently my mums line was upgraded to fibre, she apparently wasn’t prewarned about this, and the first thing she knew was when the guy came to do it.
Later the same day she contacted me saying her “Emergency Red Button” was non operational since the new installation, and her phone wasn’t working. She was in tears and I went to see what had happened. The engineer had installed the new “network adaptor” and left the rest of the system inoperable. She also was complaining about the network adaptor which carries a monthly charge, she only uses the line for phone calls, and the emergency button. When she complained to “Customer Services” she was advised that it was best to keep the installation as it will be easier for the next residents. She already suffers from a dicky heart, which cause panic attacks, this causes her BP to go up, so she uses the Red Button to call for help. If she dies due to not being able to call for help, Virgin Media will be held responsible.

She doesn’t need Fibre as she only uses the line for phone calls, and the Emergency Button.

There is no chance of her getting a computer, or subscribing to tv channels.

So why was she forced to have a network adaptor, and be forced to pay for something which isn’t required.

I do have Power of Attorney, and will be changing her provider to BT if this isn’t resolved within 14 working days. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If your mother was a phone-only customer with VM, she should have been given a VM hub for the new phone line but with the hub set up to provide landline only (no internet).

Her monthly costs should not have changed although there have been some past topics (some time ago if I recall correctly) where eager sales agents were trying to push a broadband sale off the back of the phone switchover (which should not be the case).

The VM tech should have made sure the line was working before leaving and, ideally, reconnected the existing equipment. Unfortunately, the skills, knowledge, abilities and interest level of VM techs seems to vary massively, as described in topics on here.

You should make some further enquiries with the provider of the care alarm system about future options or modifications to the call system. The phone connection on the back of the VM hub behaves like an ordinary telephone socket so should work OK with an emergency call system but it is dependent on the VM hub being online in order to dial out. If the hub was offline for any reason then the emergency call out may not happen when needed.

Emergency care line providers should be able to offer options for the call to go out via a mobile connection as well to ensure reliability.

All phone providers are moving to this phone-via-router arrangement so moving to BT may not necessarily help as you could very likely be offered a similar type of connection there (either now or in the near future).

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

The VM forum team staff don't usually reply here in 'Tech Chatter'. Someone may move your topic over to 'Home Phone' where you should get a reply from a VM forum team member within a few days.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Gazzz
Tuning in

Hello,

Recently my mums line was upgraded to fibre, she apparently wasn’t prewarned about this, and the first thing she knew was when the guy came to do it.
Later the same day she contacted me saying her “Emergency Red Button” was non operational since the new installation, and her phone wasn’t working. She was in tears and I went to see what had happened. The engineer had installed the new “network adaptor” and left the rest of the system inoperable. She also was complaining about the network adaptor which carries a monthly charge, she only uses the line for phone calls, and the emergency button. When she complained to “Customer Services” she was advised that it was best to keep the installation as it will be easier for the next residents. She already suffers from a dicky heart, which cause panic attacks, this causes her BP to go up, so she uses the Red Button to call for help. If she dies due to not being able to call for help, Virgin Media will be held responsible.

She doesn’t need Fibre as she only uses the line for phone calls, and the Emergency Button.

There is no chance of her getting a computer, or subscribing to tv channels.

So why was she forced to have a network adaptor, and be forced to pay for something which isn’t required.

I do have Power of Attorney, and will be changing her provider to BT if this isn’t resolved within 14 working days. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If your mother was a phone-only customer with VM, she should have been given a VM hub for the new phone line but with the hub set up to provide landline only (no internet).

Her monthly costs should not have changed although there have been some past topics (some time ago if I recall correctly) where eager sales agents were trying to push a broadband sale off the back of the phone switchover (which should not be the case).

The VM tech should have made sure the line was working before leaving and, ideally, reconnected the existing equipment. Unfortunately, the skills, knowledge, abilities and interest level of VM techs seems to vary massively, as described in topics on here.

You should make some further enquiries with the provider of the care alarm system about future options or modifications to the call system. The phone connection on the back of the VM hub behaves like an ordinary telephone socket so should work OK with an emergency call system but it is dependent on the VM hub being online in order to dial out. If the hub was offline for any reason then the emergency call out may not happen when needed.

Emergency care line providers should be able to offer options for the call to go out via a mobile connection as well to ensure reliability.

All phone providers are moving to this phone-via-router arrangement so moving to BT may not necessarily help as you could very likely be offered a similar type of connection there (either now or in the near future).

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

The VM forum team staff don't usually reply here in 'Tech Chatter'. Someone may move your topic over to 'Home Phone' where you should get a reply from a VM forum team member within a few days.

Thankyou for the reply.
I wasn’t sure which forum to use as I don’t use VM (I am with BT) so Thankyou for the guidance. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Gazzz 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We write to all customers ahead of migration and there is no extra charge to do this. 

Customers with accessibility requirements can also get our Emergency Backup Line at no extra cost. 

You can read more about the switchover 👉 here 

I'm going to pop you a PM 📩 now so I can help further.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thankyou

I have been in contact with VM and was advised that a separate “emergency line” is available, but this still relies on the fibre optic cable and the attached server, plus the hub being live. So in the case of a power cut the emergency button would not work as the new fibre optic system is not compatible with the Red Button. 
As a matter of interest, the company who sell the Red Button recommend connecting via “copper cable”, and the new BT system has the option of a hybrid cable (fibre and copper) which would utilise 2 separate boxes in the house, one for fibre (tv/phone/broadband) and the other solely for the Red Button.