Menu
Senex72
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unsuccessful merry go round to Port landline number. How to get it back.

If I set out the entire saga of trying to port my old LL number (I've had it for 26 years) readers would get bored and stop reading. Made contact by messaging (never a reply) phoning (left on hold x 3) hopeless. etc etc So bare facts.

1. Router kit arrived 5 days late. Result no internet or phone for that time having cancelled other provider to tie in with delivery date..

2. Waited for number to be ported. It wasn't.

3. Told reason "inactive" contacted Plusnet they "reactivated" for 7 days.

4. Contacted V told it is active 7 days. Checked agreed. Txt saying will port later then txt saying "inactive".

5.Emailed a formal complaint setting out fulls details. No reply I can see at all, to date.

6.Repeated the entire process, given a new date by txt to port. next day txt "inactive".

For me to inform everyone, who has old number, of new number is impossible. There must be a way to get it back. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsuccessful merry go round to Port landline number. How to get it back.

Hey there Senex72 and sorry to hear about your number port issue. May I ask when  Plusnet advised that the line was active, whether you was able to receive calls when still plugged into the BT/Plusnet socket? I ask because the line must be fully active to port and not just pending. Our Telephony Team will have sent the request to Plusnet but if it's not showing as active on their side, Plusnet rejects our order.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Senex72
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lisa

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

All calls were made on a mobile because until yesterday, when an engineer came and repaired/replaced connections etc, we could not use the landline at all. So I have no idea if it could be used using BT socket.

However the person I spoke to at Plusnet reactivated the line as we spoke. He advised to contact V after the Christmas holiday. So that is what I did.

Senex72

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Senex72,

I'm sorry, as you mentioned Plusnet who uses a different Operator's network (Plusnet may have their own or piggy back from Talk Talk or BT's network as a reseller for example) I thought you was porting your number into us and should have the existing non Virgin Media sockets in your home. Calling the landline number in question is a good test to see if it's active which is why I asked.

I've managed to find your details using the information we have on here and I can see we've requested the number port three times and they have all been rejected I'm afraid. 

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Senex72
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lisa

Thank you again.

What can I do next?

S

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

At your property, do you have any non Virgin Media telephone sockets installed? You'll need to ask your old Provider to re-active the line so it's temporarily active and you can check if you call the number and are able to receive the call in your home. I would also ask if they can send you something in writing explaining that they confirm the line is active. 

We can then resubmit our port request to them. If it's indeed active, they should not reject our port order and we'll be able to back it up with the written confirmation too. We will approach the Provider (e.g. Plusnet) and the number range owner (for example BT, Talk Talk) to port the number. The Range Holder will only port the number to us if the Losing Provider has accepted or request.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Senex72
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lisa

Plusnet have just said that they cannot activate the number unless I have an account with them. Something about "queued down" which I don't understand. Unless the number has been reallocated it must be available. 

Had V not delivered the router late, none of this would've happened.

I've still not heard about my complaint made on a V form.

I suppose the next step is the Ofcom / Ombudsman

S

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Senex72,

I appreciate your frustration and you wanting your old number back. If Plusnet has ceased the number back to the range owner, the line will be spare. Do you know when the number was first disconnected by Plusnet? I ask because from the details, we have tried three times and they were all rejected by Plusnet as the line is inactive. Do you have any communication with them showing you've been wanting to port your number? If so, they should have kept the line active so we could port the number instead of rejecting our orders.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Senex72
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Lisa

I have no idea if the number is back to Range owner. The contract with Plusnet ended on the 4/12/20 the day after the router was supposed to arrive as promised at the time of making the contract with V Yodel cancelled twice then tried deliver when I was unable to be there. I did tell them I wanted my old number but that was on the telephone.

regards

S

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If your install was a self install, a temporary Virgin Media line would have been provided as number porting isn't possible until after the install and when the line is tested as successful. For porting, we always advised to disconnect with the current Provider when the port has fully completed. It allows for any unforeseen delays as there is a risk that the number is disconnected. This is the same for all providers I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos