Menu
Cathmath
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Unsolicited calls

I've only been with Virgin Media for a few weeks and it's a decision I regret. I filed a complaint almost seven weeks ago and no one has ever called me to try to resolve my issue despite me spending almost 9 hours on the phone. They lost my home phone number and issued me a new one to which I am receiving a number of unsolicited calls from Pakistan. They are abusive calls and are making me feel deeply unsettled. I have not given out my new number to anyone. How do I go about getting a new number and how do I go about getting someone to a acknowledge my complaint?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsolicited calls

There have been many complaints on the VM forums about spam and scam calls in recent months. Unfortunately, these are often machine-generated by simply dialling blocks of numbers until they get a response. Once they do get a response the calls are likely to continue or escalate. Best not answer any unrecognised numbers or let them go to answer machine.

Ref. your lost number, the procedure is that the existing number has to be on an active working line for the transfer to take place successfully to the new provider. If the transfer has not taken place, for whatever reason, it can be hard to get the original number back and that difficulty increases with time from when it was lost.

That said, there have been a few mentions on the forums of numbers being recovered by some heroic efforts from the forum team so best wait for one of them to pick up the thread and see if they can help. (Do not mark any 'helpful answers' in the meantime). It can be several days before they respond unless a VIP forum member can flag this for you and escalate.

Even if you get your original number back, there is no guarantee that the abusive calls with stop. See the thread below for additional information on call blocking and screening which can help with the problem.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/How-do-I-change-my-Virgin-Media-landline-phone-numbe...

Sadly, VM customer services are deeply flawed as you have discovered. The VM forums are the best place to get help and advice either from the forum team or from fellow customers. Unfortunately though the forum process can be a bit slow.

Hope you can get it all sorted.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, somebody will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cathmath,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear this has occurred, it does appear that you have spoken to a member of the team today, who has already taken this issue in hand regarding having your number changed and having a complaint raised.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Maxlength
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Since 3rd December 2020 we have received many unrecognised phone calls from different numbers to our landline.  The first three calls were purportedly representing Virgin (with a non-English accent) to say there was a fault with the modem/router.  Since then, we have had silent calls, as many as two per day.  I do not want to change my landline number.

What is Virgin Media doing to prevent this?

From: 01263322032, 01926583587, 01473435975, 01642295334, 01485577446, 02076839799, 01235815282

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Maxlength,

Sorry that you have been getting these calls, here are some ways at safeguarding against nuisance calls https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls.

Cheers,
Corey C

0 Kudos
Connoleg
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We keep getting calls from virgin media rep called 'Jack' with an Indian accent informing us that our broadband is faulty. Unfortunately my wife answered and now the calls are more frequent. Ho hum.

0 Kudos
Maxlength
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Because there is no identifiable company to complain about, and the calls seem to come from a completely random phone number (so far two more today 26/12/20), none of the recommended solutions that I've seen appear to offer a way of preventing/solving the problem.  Although it's an inconvenience, I've totally switched off our answerphone (after informing family and friends), and look at the call ID before answering.  If it appears to be one of their numbers I will let it ring until the call is terminated.  I'm hoping that doing that a few times might flag our number as disconnected.

Basically, as this is due to a Virgin Mobile data breach (affecting 900,000 people), that's why I have asked what are they doing about it????

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The only way to solve the issue of the scam calls is to invest in a call screening device such as trueCall or a phone with those calling screening features such as some ranges from BT.

A useful summary of installing a BT phone is here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/7-spam-calls-today-supposedly-from-Virginmedia/m-p/4...

My own summary of setting up and using a trueCall device here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-Calls/m-p/4324071#M136451

I have had no scam calls ring my phone since installing it

Everyone is receiving scam calls across all networks. They are generated by auto-dialling software in comjunction with IP telephony systems ringing large blocks of numbers until they get a response on a particular number. Once they identify a working line they will keep ringing it. Other networks do have better customer-controlled features than VM for preventing this.

Your strategy of leaving the phone to ring out unanswered will probably reduce the frequency of the calls (eventually) but will not stop them and may well take a long time to see a reduction.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

This is nothing new (this clip is from 1983):

The only difference is that today, the methods have changed slightly and hardware (which has changed considerably over the years) is much faster.  1000's of fake numbers can be generated quite easily in seconds.  Problem is, some of them are real, and UK area codes are available freely on the internet.  Had this problem myself a couple of years back; eventually they do stop.

The numbers from the above post are purporting to originate from the areas in blue text, but in reality they're more likely to come from elsewhere.

01263322032 [Cromer], 01926583587 [Warwick], 01473435975 [Ipswich], 01642295334 [Middlesbrough], 01485577446 [Hunstanton], 02076839799 [London], 01235815282 [Abingdon]

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos