Menu
Harvelman
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unsolicited Calls to landline

I've received two unsolicited calls from different numbers, both claiming to be from Virgin Media.

How can I tell if they are genuine.

I tried contacting 150 by phone but the options given didn't cover the subject.

How can I check the authenticity of the caller.

I hung up on both rather than get into conversation with the caller.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unsolicited Calls to landline

what did they say they wanted. You can often tell. If they claim something is wrong and want access to your computer or money its a scam
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Harvelman wrote:

I've received two unsolicited calls from different numbers, both claiming to be from Virgin Media.

How can I tell if they are genuine.

I tried contacting 150 by phone but the options given didn't cover the subject.

How can I check the authenticity of the caller.

I hung up on both rather than get into conversation with the caller.

As you were unsure about the two calls, you did the right thing by hanging up and not getting into conversation with the caller.

Caller IDs are not a reliable way to decide on the origins of a call because they are easily faked. You have to apply some general principles to decide if a call is from a scammer.

See below for some general advice regarding scams and the tell-tale signs of how to spot them

Metropolitan Police - Little Booklet of Phone Scams
https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

Neighbourhood Watch - Telephone Scams
https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/crime-prevention/crime-prevention-toolkits/scams/common-scams/telephone-...

National Cyber Security Centre - Dealing with suspicious messages
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harvelman

Thanks for posting. 

What did the callers want when they called you please?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Harvelman
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It was a really bad line and she didn't ask for any identity information which made me suspicious. I didn't wait I hung up and then did 1471 and got the number.

My wife then received a call on her mobile from a different number with the same outcome although Virgin always asks to speak to the account holder so she was suspicious and also hung up.

I wanted to contact Virgin to check to see if either number was legitimate but none of the options enabled me to speak with a real person.

That's why I came to this site to see if there was a number I could ring to verify either of the numbers. Bearing in mind that now we are in Covid country some people may be working from home rather than a fixed Virgin number.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What number did they call you on please? Not your numbers, theirs if that makes sense? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Harvelman
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've just had an "International Call" when a woman asked me how my internet connection was working.

I tried 1471 to identify the number but it said they didn't have the number. 

The other numbers were 0113 2256523 and 01524 752679.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It does sound like a scam call to me. The numbers don't match anything we have here. It more than likely would be a witheld number should we be calling whilst working from home also.

Thanks for being vigilant here.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've had my new number for about 2 months and as I don't use it for anything I've had no reason to give my number out. Yet I still get about 10 unsolicited calls a day. It's driving me mental! I wish I could just get rid of my landline to be honest but it would cost my overall package more to remove apparently.

FML

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@sam_soong wrote:

I've had my new number for about 2 months and as I don't use it for anything I've had no reason to give my number out. Yet I still get about 10 unsolicited calls a day. It's driving me mental! <snip>

If you don't use the landline, and you haven't given the number to anyone, it begs the question why do you not just unplug the phone, or set the ringer to silent, and restore your sanity?

0 Kudos