Menu
Karrie888
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unable to receive or make landline phone calls

My home landline has not been working properly. I have not been able to receive incoming calls for about three weeks. My mum can hear it ringing out or she gets the engaged tone but nothing is happening at my end. I sometimes get a dial tone to ring out but the line is so crackly it is impossible to have a conversation. I have tried almost daily to get through to VM 150 using my mobile but after 30 minutes each time I confess I give up. My mum feels very isolated not being able to ring me on the landline. She doesn't hear very well and struggles to hear me when I use my mobile. On the VM help pages there are no issues in my area, my phone line test is inconclusive and there is nothing wrong with my phone. Any suggestions for how I can book an engineer without going through 150? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to receive or make landline phone calls

Hi Karrie888,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry about the late reply, can you please confirm if you're able to test a different phone handset?

Or if you are plugged into the main socket or an extension?

Are you having an issue receiving calls from all numbers?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Karrie888
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex

Thank you for helping me.

I do have a very old corded phone which I have plugged into the main (and only) phone wall socket. There is no dialing tone with that old phone either.

When I plug my cordless phone back it the caller display screen says "line cord error. please check".

When I pick up the handset there is no dialling tone and I am not able to phone out. My friend in my local 0117 area cannot phone me and neither can my mum who lives 01903 area. My younger friends use social media!

When I phone my landline from my mobile the line seems to connect but then immediately drops out; it doesn't connect long enough for the landline handset to audibly ring in the house.

When my friend and my mum phone me they both say that the phone rings out OK and rings and rings without me answering it and without the answerphone cutting in. Obviously I'm not answering it because it is not ringing! 

I have been without a working landline for about 4 weeks now. Approximately 2 weeks before that my line was very crackly but it was still usable. 

I have been using my mobile to try and get through to VM but I seem to end up in a never-ending loop of being told to do the online phone test which always says "inconclusive".

I do hope you can solve this for me.

From Karrie

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to us. 

Sorry about the delay in response there. 

Are you still having issues with your landline? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
JC1006
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

• I am having the same problem.
  • is there any solution to this yet
0 Kudos
Karrie888
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good evening Zak_M

No change here. Phone line still not working. Very frustrating. I feel the only solution is for an engineer to visit. Can you arrange this?

Thanks

Karrie

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Karrie888,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you are still having issues with your phone line.

So I can help I would like to invite you into a private chat, I will send you an invite shortly please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Karrie888
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This morning I have had a very helpful private chat with Paul_DN. 

Paul carried out some diagnostic checks remotely and confirmed that an engineer is required. Paul has booked this for 17th September. 

I am so pleased to think I might have my landline working again soon. Thank you Virgin Media Community.

Karrie

0 Kudos
Karrie888
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Final update: Two technicians from VM arrived as scheduled today. Both chaps were polite and very helpful. They changed my phone connection so that it works off the internet now rather than via the 'landline'. Such a brilliant solution. The phone had to be moved from my sitting room to the small office (where the hub is) but that was not a problem. Technician Simon was especially keen to resolve this problem for me in the best possible way and he has. I am so grateful to have a working phone again. Thank you Simon (ID97796) you are a credit to VM. And thank you again to VM community for helping me.

Karrie

0 Kudos