Menu
Merchie
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unable to port my number

My home phone number is with a company called Kinex and I have asked for it to be ported to Virgin but was told that it cannot be done as Kinex are not on the list of companies that Virgin can port from. Is this right? Why can't it be ported from any other telecom provider?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to port my number

Might be that Kinex only offer Business services. Virgin Media is a Residential service only. You could probably port into Virgin Business as they operate seperately, but you would need a Business account.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Merchie
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I ran my business from home which was on a residential line when I was with BT before I went to Kinex. They do only deal with businesses so that must be the reason. I am going to have to go back to using BT as they say that they can port from Kinex. Pity.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Merchie, 

Welcome to our Forum and thanks for posting. In theory we should be able to port any type of number as when the porting happens, all features are stripped and they are just "bog standard" numbers. This is the same for business and residential. I think I know where the issue is and this is from training to be honest. In the UK, we have actual network operators (think of those who own the infrastructure) and resellers (those who piggy back off network operators). When we're porting, it's really the network operators who do the work so our agents have a list of these. Kinex may be a reseller as it's not on our list so we'll need to find out which network operator they use. 

If Kinex primarily deals with Business customers, it can sometimes get tricky as they may piggy back onto another reseller who piggy backs from the network operator (I've seen daisy chains where there are at least 4 resellers involved). 

The key thing if you wish to port the number to us is to DON'T disconnect the line with Kinex as it must be an active number to port. Speak to Kinex and ask which network they use for their lines and let us know. We'll do some more checks and if everything is fine, we'll request for the port.

Thanks,

Lisa

Merchie
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your help Lisa. 

I will get in touch with Kinex and see what I can find out.

Mike

0 Kudos