Menu
JC1006
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unable to make or receive calls

My phone has not been working for some time. I have checked the phone on someone else’s line so that is not the problem. 
I have carried all the checks on the online help and nothing works. I cannot get through on the help line and I am getting really frustrated as this has been going on for quite some time.

Can somebody please help!

0 Kudos
eastwc00
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to make or receive calls

Hi

My phone line had the same problem. We don't use it much so don't know how long it has not been happening for, only became apparent when I answered an incoming call and just got static.

I used the Virgin service checker and even though it said service status was good, when I ran a test it said it couldn't find a fault and took me through booking an engineer visit. This was on Fri 4th Sept evening after about 4pm. Had a couple of text messages to advise if the problem resolved itself to reply FIXED and they would cancel the engineer visit.

Mon morning at ~9.45am the engineer turned up, advised a suitable way forward would be to migrate to 21CV... didn't understand what he meant at first, but when he explained he would swap the line so I can connect the phone direct to the superhub it made sense. He advised that in the case of a powercut or the internet going down that the phone would then also be affected. No biggie as we all have mobile phones. He checked the superhub, rebooted it to try to force the signal to swap and after a 2nd reboot it was complete.

For info the eng explained that the reason the phone lines experience issues is because the condition of the copper lines deteriorates over time, especially as at some junction boxes aren't sealed properly and water ingress damages stuff. The network is about 30 years old and there is a move by Virgin to replace and upgrade...

Really knowledgeable and pleasant chap (Andy) and all done in about 30mins.

Happy customer in this case.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
JC1006
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for the info unfortunately I cannot get through to make an appointment for an engineer as it just says ring.

Very frustrating but I will carry on

0 Kudos
nephrititi
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem.  Only switched from BT to Virgin a couple of weeks ago.  We don't use the landline very often so don't know how long there has been a fault.  We have a dialling tone but cannot receive calls nor make them.  Eventually got through to Virgin this afternoon  on my mobile after hanging on for over 30 minutes to then be cut off.  

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @JC1006 

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. Sorry to hear about these landline issues you're having. I've located the account and I can see that a tech visit has been booked. You will be able to change and view that appointment here

Please let us know how you get on and if you have any further issues. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @eastwc00 

Thanks for your post. Glad to hear that we were able to get a tech out and switch you over to 21CV. If you have any further issues please get back in touch here and we'll do our best to help 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @nephrititi 

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your landline and that you were disconnected when calling in. 

I'll be able to take a look in to this for you - I've not been able to locate your account as of yet so will private message you to take some details. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
nephrititi
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hollie

Many thanks for stepping in, have just replied to pm.

Regards
0 Kudos
nephrititi
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am still unable to  make/receive phone calls but think I have found out where the problem lies, which would mean we have had no Virginmedia landline service since upgrading our package over 2 weeks ago.

Our phones are still plugged in to the BT socket.

Should we have had a different wall socket installed?

Fay

Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @nephrititi 

This is correct - you are not able to use the landline in BT's socket as we are on a different network to them. 

I've had a look and can see that we've installed the landline via the hub - I've messaged you to check on this. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

0 Kudos