cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive calls for 2 weeks

Gnasher2
Joining in

My 82 year old Mum's Landline hasn't worked for 2 weeks, we have tried another known working handset directly in the Master socket and still doesn't work.

Website is incredibly frustrating as it send you in a loop saying to check the landline Help & support page!

Live chat says to use Virtual assistant, which doesn't seem to exist?

I have called the 0845 number and registered the fault (i think) but it keeps telling me to call back after 10 minutes and just input the Landline number, but when I try this it says that 'that option is not recognised, if I try and hold to speak to someone I cannot get past the Memorable word security question, what are the chances of an 82 year old remembering a memorable word that they used for the account 15 plus years ago? Clearly it wasn't that memorable...

Can someone please help, she has a lot of health issues and is worried that she is missing vital appointments, she doesn't have, and cannot use a mobile phone.

5 REPLIES 5

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Gnasher2 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you on board. 

We are so sorry to hear that your Mum has faced this issue with her landline and we understand how frustrating this must be.

Can I ask if she has had any correspondence for us in regards to a landline switchover from the copper line to a fibre line? 

Gnasher2
Joining in

No she hasn't and wouldn't want to as phone would not work in a power outage.

We do offer a a back up battery for the phone should she need one in case the connection goes down. 

It is worth noting that the switch to fibre is a government initiated switch that is effecting all landlines with all providers, wit a complete date estimated to be 2025. 

I'd be happy to take a look into this with you via a Private Message so we can see what has happened here. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

It is worth noting that the switch to fibre is a government initiated switch that is effecting all landlines with all providers, wit a complete date estimated to be 2025. 

Err, no, it’s actually an industry (including VM) initiated switch, although I promise you that I do fully understand that you have all been told to push this ‘interpretation’ so as to make it seem that any problems are, ‘well it’s the Governments fault, nothing to do with us....'

Hello again @Gnasher2 

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for the landline– you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment