Menu
thisispaulmac
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Transferring Old Number

I moved house on 21st February and the engineer came and installed the Virgin lines on 22nd February.  I requested the transfer of our home phone number from the previous property which he logged and said it could take up to 10 days.  After 2 weeks I contacted Virgin who said that it should be transferred soon.  After another week the number had still not transferred.  I phoned back and they said that there was an issue as it previously been a BT number before we moved to Virgin over 10 years ago.  Whoever I spoke to said that they had now officially requested the transfer and that the number would be working within 4 days.  It is now well over a week since I was told that and over a month since we moved and the number is still not working.  I'm really not sure what to do as the Customer Service line is not working (I waited an hour).  Obviously with everyone asked to stay in their homes it is really important that people are able to contact us and they still can't on our phone number that we have had for 20 years.   Please could someone fix this?

Thank You Paul Macdonald

0 Kudos
CybeRocK
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferring Old Number

Hi Paul, 
porting a number is usually a straight forward thing but sometimes we run into issues with the old supplier, in your case BT. We can request the number port and then it's down to BT to release it. It's true that normally it takes between 7-10 business days for a provider to release the number, from the time it's been requested. Have you been given a temporary virgin media number in the meantime so you can use until they resolve you number port? Is your phone plugged into a phone socket on the wall or into the back of the modem? Have you already cancelled your BT account where your phone number was live? Please let me know. Thanks

- Although I am a Virgin Media service technician, the responses given on here are from my personal experience in the field and should be taken as such -
If I was able to help you please let others know by marking my answer as helpful. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo 🙂
0 Kudos