cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of landline number to existing account

rpwithey
Tuning in

We already have a Virgin Media account with a landline number that we rarely use. We have decided to cancel our BT account and transfer our BT number to Virgin Media. BT informed us that we needed to wait until our account was closed to request that the number be transferred. Reading other posts on this community seems to indicate that this was incorrect information: we should have requested that the number be transferred BEFORE cancelling the account.

Is it going to be possible to transfer our BT number before the account is closed? If not, how do we go about ensuring that Virgin Media can acquire our number once it is inactive? From Ofcom advice, is this the "Cease and re-provide" option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @rpwithey thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here regarding your landline.

We're afraid you have been misadvised by BT here. To be clear, the landline number must remain completely open with no disconnection scheduled against it in order for us to retain the number.

With this in mind, you will need to discuss cancelling the disconnection with them (at least on the landline side of things) and then we can again request the number from them.

Once the port is completely, the landline (on BT's side) will automatically close down and transfer to us.

Please let us know if you need any further help once you've spoken to BT on this and we can help re-raise the number port request.

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @rpwithey thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here regarding your landline.

We're afraid you have been misadvised by BT here. To be clear, the landline number must remain completely open with no disconnection scheduled against it in order for us to retain the number.

With this in mind, you will need to discuss cancelling the disconnection with them (at least on the landline side of things) and then we can again request the number from them.

Once the port is completely, the landline (on BT's side) will automatically close down and transfer to us.

Please let us know if you need any further help once you've spoken to BT on this and we can help re-raise the number port request.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi,

Thanks for that information. I have cancelled the cancellation! What is the next step for Virgin to take over the number?

Regards

Robin Withey

Hi @rpwithey thanks for your reply, great news!
Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into things further for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W