Menu
r5ingh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Transfer landline in from BT.. !

Hi,

Have been a virgin household for 10+ years. Recently did something silly and got suckered in for an oomph deal during black-friday. I set it up so our landline number of (almost 25 years) would be transferred over to the new account. Made several phone calls before the switch over / install dates and was told yes this would happen. When the new account went live unfortunately Virgin didn’t switch our number from our old account to the new account. Instead, our old account was closed and the number was returned to the original owner which was BT (from 10+ years ago when we were BT phone customers).
I rang around trying to get it sorted and got passed from pillar to post. I was told that it would be brought back and even given dates and told the transfer had “gone to the manchester office”. Long story short, we’re still without our number. It’s difficult for my folks who rely on the landline and their friends and family worldwide who have that number. 

I was told later that the transfer couldn’t be done because the number is no longer assigned to any active account.. here’s what I’ve done.
- I’ve ordered a new BT line with the old number
- It will get activated on July 13th
- I need virgin to ask for the number to be ported over ASAP (preferably the straight away after the account is live).
- When the number ports, my account with BT will be cancelled

I have been transparent with BT regarding my intentions and have paid £70 for a new line install + signed up to a new £21p/m phone package.

IF this goes to plan, I’ll cancel within the cooling-off period. Pay BT around £80-90 and have my original number back. IF it goes wrong I’ll have 2x lines and be signed up to a £448 phone line commitment over 18 months.

Help I need;
- Who can I speak to (I usually find the oomph team is VERY helpful!) to ensure that this situation is a) understood
b) I’m advised properly
c) ensure that we get the transfer done

I haven’t yet raised a complaint as at this point I just need the number back! But this whole thing was made a serious hash of in the initial account set up over Christmas.
Clarifications;
- I am not trying to be amoral with BT, it’s not their fault and they shouldn’t be left holding the bill. So I declared my intentions to cancel upfront and paid for the install instead of trying to get around that by ordering broadband and then cancelling that!
- Virgin team IS at fault as I made efforts and declared what was happening before the new account went live (the notes will all be there)
- I’m trying to get our number through a loophole because the transfer needs an active account, I think the plan fails if the transfer is not conducted or blocked within the cooling-off period. BT assures me they will NOT block the transfer.

Thoughts appreciated. Have been open and genuine about the situation!

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transfer landline in from BT.. !

Please observe the OFCOM guidance for transferring landline numbers.

This is why your original port request failed.

Your number CANNOT be transferred from your old provider if there is a cancellation notice on your account. Its not just the line being acrtive.

Your new provider (Virgin) must deal with the cancellation themselves.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pars
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's my understanding too.
I ported from BT to a Vonage service (all handled by Vonage).
Successful porting automatically ceased the BT line - I had no input beyond the fact that BT give you an opportunity to revoke the port should you wish.
M350 over FTTP
r5ingh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's very helpful. This time there won't be a cancellation request on the BT account so the port should go through to Virgin and virgin should be able to cease the BT account within the cooling-off period! Theoretically it should work right?
0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi r5ingh, 

Thanks for your post.

I'm really sorry that you've had issues trying to bring your number over to us from BT.

As nodrogd has said, there should be no open work orders with the other provider, such as a cancellation.

When the number is ready and active, please get in touch with our team and they can arrange this for you. You can speak to the oopmh team directly or pop back to us here.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
r5ingh
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa,

Update - so the original landline is now active with BT as of yesterday.

I called the porting team today who've taken the request but are saying the port will happen by Jul 23rd?

Is there any chance you guys could help nudge this along? Reason being I only have until July 28th before I'm committed to an 18 month BT contract and I'd like to know if there are going to be any issues sooner rather than later!

Sidenote - BT said the number was still with virgin and they had to 'request it back' even though it was disconnected with Virgin. I think this means I could have technically avoided the whole BT + install + charges headache if Virgin would have added it to an account temporarily and then ported it immediately? Although too late for me, this might help someone else in future?

Appreciate if you can assist... Thanks!

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi r5ingh,

I've checked the port details and can confirm that they have accepted our port request for the date you mentioned 23/07. This shows that the number wasn't with us as if it was, they would have rejected our port order and we would immediately make the number active.

I've rescheduled it to an earlier date and am just waiting for BT to accept our date change request. I'll send you a Private Message with the new date shortly to confirm that I've done this.

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @r5ingh,

I've just checked the port status and can confirm BT has accepted the new date 🙂 Please don't contact them yet in case an agent accidentally nudges our port order. Once the number has completed the port into us and you can dial in an out with your ported number from your landline, you may contact BT to get the account closed.

Please do let us know if there are any issues (fingers crossed three won't be).

Thanks,

Lisa