Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Traditional phone & internet phone

I’m after some advice re my home phone. I currently have a traditional phone in my dinning room and all my other virgin services are in the front room (tv & broadband). I’m currently decorating so want to tidy things up a bit. I don’t use my home phone but I’d like advice on the following:

1. Can I stop paying the phone line bit of my bill and use the broadband router to run an internet phone instead?

3. Would it have the same number?

3. Are internet phones different to normal phones. In other words do I need to buy a new phone?

My ultimate aim is to have all my services in the front room without running any new cables and getting rid of the phone line cable. If I can save some money too then great but not the primary reason. 

thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Traditional phone & internet phone

There is a simple answer - no you can't. In the end VM will provide its existing customers with their landline service via the Hub. But for the moment that is reserved for new customers. Existing customers will converted by 2025. But you cannot opt for the via Hub service now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Changing from traditional phoneline to VOC (phone through router) will not reduce the bill as essentially a phone service is still being supplied. All new installations have VOC and not the traditional phoneline and we are gradually moving customers who have a fault with their telephone line to this new system, though at present there is certain criteria to fulfil so each fault will be dealt with accordingly.

You can use any landline phone, it works in the same way though you may need an adaptor so the phone cord fits the router, Virgin Media can supply this.

If you have a Virgin Media issued phone number, then the number will remain the same. Should you have ported a number from another supplier then there is a small possibility the number may change.

I hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi , 

Adding onto my colleagues explanation. You are welcome to ring up customer service to remove the phone line out of your package to reduce the payment but no we would not supply you a phone line through the internet if you remove it from the package. This is because you would still be receiving a telephone service that you can make calls from. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos