Menu
abrahad
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Timeout to clear line when caller does not hang up

Is there an automatic timeout to clear the line if the caller fails to hang up? 

I did see one answer where the solution was to unplug the handset for about 15 minutes then plug it back in but this is a bit impractical.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Timeout to clear line when caller does not hang up

Hi there @abrahad

Thanks so much for popping along today; are you having issues with your line disconnecting? 

The timeout should be between 5 - 15 minutes; however this can depend on who initiated the call.  It can be an issue with cold callers where the line does not disconnect when you hang up and they stay connected to your line - the only way to do disconnect this type of call would be to unplug the handset from the socket and wait for the line to clear. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

abrahad
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. Turned out the problem was a fault in my call blocker holding the line open.
0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back to us Abraham, glad to hear you found out what the issue was. If you need anything else please let us know 🙂

Cheers

Zoie_P

0 Kudos
Rawlingsjohn
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie, 

This sounds like an issue I am currently researching re security in the telecoms industry relating to call clearing. My understanding was that UK telcom providers have now built in an automatic process whereby calls that are left open due to one party not disconnecting are now as a rule cleared after a few seconds in order to prevent fraudulent activity. I know BT launched a campaign around this a few years back. 

Are you able to confirm virgin medias current clearing time? 

Many thanks for your help 

John 

0 Kudos