cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The phone and number combination you have dialled is invalid

MS82
Tuning in

Hi team. Recently moved to VM landline and broadband from Sky. Phone number was ported across last week and shows the correct number when dialling out. 

However weirdly I can only receive calls from certain mobile networks (tested so far are Tesco mobile, giffgaff, and virgin media but I believe they all use the o2 network don’t they?). I can no longer call my own house phone using any Vodafone mobile. Sometimes I’ll just get nothing, and sometimes I’ll hear a recorded message “The code and number combination you have dialled is invalid. Please try again. You have not been charged for this call”. 

I never had a single problem on the same landline number when with Sky. I’ve tried rebooting the hub 4, and I’ve also spoken to VM technicians on 2nd line. They said they resolved it whilst I was on the phone to them however the problem persists. They never followed up to check with me or anything. 

Can anyone here help please? 

21 REPLIES 21

Hey MS82

It is moving in the right direction I can assure you of that 

Again as I get any updates, I will be back on here to let you know

Gareth_L

Cheers Gareth - much appreciated! 

Hello MS82

Back again with a message to see how things are 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Well you wouldn’t believe it (or perhaps you would) but I’ve had 3 different ‘engineers’ call me now all oblivious to the issue, all starting off by asking me what the problem is, what do I hear when I try calling the landline, and have you tried rebooting the hub, followed by a “that sounds odd, we’ll have to get someone to investigate”. 

You wouldn’t think we all work in a technical background where the concepts of logging an incident and making notes of the issue, error messages, whose already investigated and what were the findings were, would sound logical so that a customer wouldn’t have to keep telling every engineer the same thing over and over and keep being told to try rebooting the router as the only possible solution. It really does beggar belief how VM handle incidents - and this is no reflection on yourself may I add. But no, to answer your question, several weeks on and still in the same place - no progress whatsoever. Still unable to receive calls from anyone on Vodafone network. 

To make matters worse, my hub is being rebooted remotely almost on a daily basis now, with no warning whatsoever whilst I’m trying to work from home. Nobody calls even out of courtesy to say “we’re just trying something, there will be some down time”. As you know it takes a good 7 mins or so for a hub to fully initialise and get back online. Not ideal at all given the job I do. When I see my connection drop, it’s like running for the backup mobile and tethering from there just to get back up and working - but as you can imagine it’s all just becoming a massive joke. 

But thanks for chasing this up. I only wish the engineers back end would take a bit more ownership of the incident so that I’m not just going round in circles with every new engineer that calls me. 

That's not good at all MS82

I shall feed that back to them 

I know how frustrating it can be when a VPN goes here, I just get up sigh and keep my fingers crossed its back 

The last person you spoke to has filled in an IT Ticket which sounds promising as it does advise what the actual issue is 

Leave this with me please 

I hope my next message is a more upbeat one 

Gareth_L

Cheers Gareth,

That’s much appreciated. 

Hi Gareth,

It’s been 4 weeks since I joined VM and this issue has still not been resolved. I don’t hear from anyone to say it’s still being investigated, and to be honest I don’t believe a technical issue should take this long to resolve. 

Would you please give me an update on the case and would you please also advise where I go from here? What compensation is available since I’m paying for a service that isn’t working properly? 

What’s the next line complaint/escalation? 

Hi, I need a resolution to this please. It is becoming a big problem now with many people saying they aren’t able to phone the landline. It has been several weeks now and the issue has not been fixed. This is unacceptable. 

Hello MS82

I am sorry its taking this long still 

I'm just checking s few things from here 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth, I need a resolution please. It’s taking too long and surely you have provisions in place for issues that have gone on this long. Are there not SLAs that Virgin Media have to adhere to?

A further kick in the balls is that I have now received my second bill and again it is incorrect and over charged, and missing promotional offers. Forgive my anger, but it is beyond a joke. Would appreciate if you can get someone to look at my bill too please as there’s an £8.67 charge for an apparent ‘package change’ that I most certainly have not made, and a missing £8 rolling credit for the length of the contract (ps I have this in writing from a Manager as I knew Virgin Media’s incompetence would lead to this). 

Can we look at compensation in the mean time please?