cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages via virgin landline

johnbarnes
Tuning in

I have a new Gigaset cordless phone plugged into my Virgin landline. 

This phone has the capability to send and receive text messages as text to be displayed on the screen (no conversion to voice involved). The manual for the phone indicates that to make this happen an "SMS Service Centre Number" is to be configured into the handset and this number is to be supplied by the telco providing the landline. A technical query sent to Gigaset confirms that is the correct procedure.

Looking carefully in the Virgin Phone User Guide for the landline there is a description of how to set up this landline SMS capability, but it expects the SMS Service Centre Number to be provided with the phone. After some hesitation, Virgin support nevertheless provided me with a number 0795xxxxxx but when I put that in the SMS Settings in the handset and tested it by sending a text message using the landline it fails with Error FE.

Could someone who has been down this route before please advise? Thanks.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

5 REPLIES 5

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @johnbarnes,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you've been having this issue with your landline handset. Is this ongoing today? Are you able to send SMS messages from a mobile to your landline handset?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your message.

Inability to send and receive SMS messages on the landline as text is an ongoing problem. My Gigaset cordless phone has the capability and according to the Virgin Phone User Manual my Virgin landline has the capability but I can't get the two to work together.

Currently, SMS messages sent to the landline from my mobile arrive as voice messages via the BT Text Voice service.

Regards, John

Hi @johnbarnes,

Thank you for clarifying. Can you try texting REGISTER from the landline to 00000 to see if that helps at all?

Let us know how you get on with that either way.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I have sent "register" from the landline to 00000 many times, using various SMS Service Centre Numbers in the SMS settings on the phone, but I can try it again. Please let me know what SMS Service Centre Number I should configure into the settings - currently I have it set to 1470P17094009 and sending the message fails with Error FD reported (meaning "Connection to SMS Service Centre failed").

As an experiment, I just tried texting "register" to 00000 with SMS Service Centre Number set to 08456021111 - the BT Text Voice service number - the message was not sent and Error FD was reported.

John

Hi @johnbarnes,

Thank you for giving that a try. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take a closer look at what's happening for you.

Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team