cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone line: can only dial out

benwalker
Tuning in

Hi, 

I’ve had VM for a couple of months now. Realised that I was paying for BT as well … as a request to cancel hadn’t been made by VM to BT.  Despite my calls to VM asking for my number to be ported over, I’ve heard nothing. So, I’ve cancelled BT myself as I can’t avoid to pay for 2 services and I’m over £100 out of pocket. BT has ended services officially now, but now, I can only make outgoing calls on my landline. The previous number is dead and it wasn’t ported over.  I really need VM to sort a phone number out for my landline so we can use the service effectively that we are paying for. 

Any help appreciated. 

cheers,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you dial out from your landline (to your mobile, say) what number does the landline present as its caller ID (your BT number or a temporary number)?

When you call your old BT number from your mobile what do you hear (number unobtainable, engaged tone etc.)?

The usual arrangement is that VM gives you a temporary number to dial in/out from while you wait for the port to complete. Once the port is done, the temporary number disappears and is replaced by your ported number.

A number port is normally carried out on/from a working line. If you have cancelled the BT line you may have set yourself up for a few problems.

Your description of receiving incoming calls, but being able to dial out, does sound though like the number port might be part way through.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you dial out from your landline (to your mobile, say) what number does the landline present as its caller ID (your BT number or a temporary number)?

When you call your old BT number from your mobile what do you hear (number unobtainable, engaged tone etc.)?

The usual arrangement is that VM gives you a temporary number to dial in/out from while you wait for the port to complete. Once the port is done, the temporary number disappears and is replaced by your ported number.

A number port is normally carried out on/from a working line. If you have cancelled the BT line you may have set yourself up for a few problems.

Your description of receiving incoming calls, but being able to dial out, does sound though like the number port might be part way through.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Benwalker, 

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this issue with your landline looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration and that your original number may have been lost! 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

Can I firstly ask if you plug your landline into your wall socket, or into your Hub via an adapter? 

I have a helpful like that you or anyone else can use for Landline Issues

I see that @goslow has just popped a message on the thread too, so please let us know the answers to his questions too as they are exactly what we need to know.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi,

I have plugged my phone into the VM Hub via an adapter. I changed this over before I cancelled BT. 

So, if I dial my landline on my previous number, it is a constant tone, like when someone hangs up on you. It doesn’t connect the call, so the number is not displayed on the landline handset. 

If I call my mobile from the landline, it registers as my home phone number still. 

As stated, the number has been left open to port but this apparently has a fixed period to port, according to the BT rep I spoke with. It ended on 11th July so it is within the time frame if it can be ported over. If not, I’ll take a new number. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

To be clear, if you dial out using your VM landline to your mobile, it shows your old BT number on the mobile?

If so, that suggests your number port has not completed fully.

Yes, that’s right. 

Hi Benwalker, 

Thanks for coming back to us about this, I think we'll need to take a closer look into your landline service to see what's going on 🧐

I'll send over a private message to you now. 

Speak soon!

Megan_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@benwalker wrote:

Yes, that’s right. 

In which case it sounds like your number port has started but has not completed correctly/fully. The 'dial-out-but-not-dial-in' issue you have described for the ported number is mentioned regularly on here for 'stuck' number ports. Hopefully VM should be able to resolve that for you.

Under current porting processes, it is up to the gaining provider (VM) to deal with and lead all aspects of the number port. BT has to keep the number available to you if the port goes wrong and until the port completes. But it is up to VM to fix any problems by liaising with BT.

Thank you for your help with this one @goslow 🤗 We always appreciate it! 

I'll see what we can do to help them and will update the thread once we've got it sorted 🤩

Thanks,

Megan_L