Menu
urbanbumpkin
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Telephone Fraud Claiming to be Virgin media

I did post this earlier but I can't see this in forum

Hope someone can help

My Mum got scammed into giving out her card details over the phone by someone claiming to being from Virgin Media. She'd been getting repeated call over several days from numbers that she was then blocking on he BT handset.

She then got a call from someone claiming to be from Virgin Media who said they could see she was getting nuisance calls and could block these for a fee.

After giving her card details out she realised the error of doing this (she's in her 80's) and called the bank immediately and stopped the debit card. Thankfully they only took just over £100.

The alarming part of this was that they new her name address and that she was a Virgin media customer (she's ex directory, TPS registered and also has ported in BT number range). She never gives out details over the phone, but she'd dropped her guard by the fact that the scam artist had known her details.

I'm thinking of requesting her to change her number, it's a shame as she's has the same number for the last 35 years

Can anyone suggest how to do this on her behalf and also help stop these scammers. Do Virgin have a fraud team I can contact?

Any other suggestions on how I can help her screen calls in the future?

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telephone Fraud Claiming to be Virgin media

Hi there @urbanbumpkin

Thanks so much for getting in touch on behalf of your Mum - we are so very sorry that she has been a victim of this sort of scam.

These sorts of scammers are getting so good these days, it's easy for anyone to feel that are talking to someone genuine. 

If she is already registered with the TPS and Ex-Directory (this just means that her number is not in the phone book or available via directory enquiries) then this is as much as she can do to protect her line

However, we would encourage you to report this directly to Action Fraud and they will be able to assist you further - especially if money has exchanged hands.

They also are able to help assist with how to prevent this from happening again. 

Thank you

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

Hope you can help I’ve just tried logging in under my usual urbanbumpkin log in but it’s says my account is barred due to posting spam. Can you help?

MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There are affordable handsets available that can screen calls - only pre-approved numbers get through automatically.  So you set it up for family and friends.  Other callers have to identify themselves and scammers rarely do this.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

urbanbumpkin
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi My Mum has BT handset that can block calls, I'll have a look at if it can set up an allow list.

Which models were you thinking of?

0 Kudos
urbanbumpkin
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Following on from today's announcement that there was a Virgin Media Data beech. I can only assume that this scam was linked to this.

What can my Mum do to find out more on this? 

Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We know how concerning this is, and we’re sorry it’s happened. This database didn’t include financial details or passwords, and we’re contacting affected customers in the next 24-48 hours. Find out more here: www.virginmedia.com/data.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
urbanbumpkin
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emily

I'm guessing they'll be doing this via post rather than calling her?

I'd prefer you to private message me rather than reply on the forum

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sadly you don't say what information the database did include.

Names,
Home and email addresses,
Phone numbers,
Some dates of birth.
Technical and product information, including any requests made using forms on our website.

A phishers/scammers dream, right here.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/05/virgin_media_subscriber_data_leak/

The storage box, we understand, not only contained Virgin Media broadband and fixed-line subscriber records – some 15 per cent of that total customer base – but also info on some cellular users. If a punter referred a friend to Virgin Media, that pal's details may be in the silo, too.

VM's next communication wil be along the lines of:-

We take our responsibility to protect your personal information seriously.

No, we really do. Unlike all those other companies that have been hacked.
Lessons will be learned.
We repeat: We take our responsibility to protect your personal information SERIOUSLY.

Edit: VM already have, sorry I missed it earlier: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Virgin-Media-s-data-incident-Help-and-Advice/ba-p/4166258

What is Virgin Media doing to tackle this?

We take our responsibility to protect your personal information seriously. We know what happened, why it happened and as soon as we became aware we immediately shut down access to the database and launched a full independent forensic investigation. We have also informed the Information Commissioner’s Office.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
urbanbumpkin
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link. This is what I though..... with the date of birth they could target older / more vulnerable people on the list.

This is possibly why my Mum was targeted.