Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Telecare Alarm Enquiry

Hi all, I am new to VM and this is my first post. 

So I have Autism and I have a Telecare installed by my local council. 

I have tested the Telecare Alarm and it works which is fantastic. 

However in the past we have suffered from power and internet outages in my area. 

So I have a few questions regarding this and I would like to see if the community would be able to assist me if possible. 

Firstly I have installed a the new V6 box and my telephony is run via the VOIP system as my address is FTTP (Fiber to the Premises) so I rely on power and internet to run the system including my telecare alarm. 

So what would happen if I was to suffer an outage outside office hours? Is there an accessible 24/7 customer service available similar to what Sky does? 

Secondly if the Internet was to go down would I qualify due to my disability and my careline installed for a next day priority response? 

Lastly if the phone lines or internet was down for a provided with a temporary SIM card to keep me going? 

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully reply. 

Kind Regards 

FiberFan 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telecare Alarm Enquiry

id the network is backed up with UPS on the green boxes. They should be but its hard to maintain 1000's of UPS batteries every year then the network will remain up and all you need is a UPS on your end to power the fibre converter and hub.

Saying that VM do have methods to deal with things like this, I'm not sure what they are but Ofcom makes a rule that you must be able to keep a phone line up in a power outage if needed for medical reasons.

See what VM have to say when they get to the thread in a few days.

VM: please keep the answer public as much as possible as i'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You need to inform VM of your situation, if you haven't already done so, and they should be able to supply you with a backup system.

This is taken from the online help section:

2. What’s the Emergency Backup Line and how can it help me? 

As our fibre phone line runs over our broadband network, it doesn’t have its own back-up power source. This means that if there’s a local power or network outage, the fibre phone line will stop working and you won’t be able to make calls.

If you have accessibility needs or are without access to a mobile phone, we’ll give you an Emergency Backup Line at no extra cost. This lets you call 999/112 emergency services during a power or network outage.

Click on this link for more information:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#ebul

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi fiberfan,

Welcome to the community forums and thank you very much for your post. We are glad to hear you have recently joined us and we are more than happy to assist as best as we can, unfortunately we do not have a priority number that functions 24 hours a day. However we would class you as a priority if your telephone service was to fail at all which we hope it does not. We also do not offer the sim card feature at this time, however a lot of our new package do come inclusive with a SIM in the bundle, it might be worth looking into if you would prefer this as a back up.

Please keep us posted if we can offer any further assistance in answering your questions.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Louis_R 

So are you saying that fiberfan is not eligible for the emergency backup equipment detailed in the help link I provided in message 3?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HI fiberfan, 

Thanks for contacting us and Graham is correct you would be able to get an Ebul. This would be used if the landline went down and allow you to continue to make calls. 

Some information was provided by Graham and can be found on the following link: 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#ebul

Kind regards

Chris. 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The engineer who installed my ebul recently didn’t have a clue how to set it up or program it. I also have a telecare unit which needs to work 24/7 even under power failure. I’ve tried to ring Virgin about this but they do not have a clue on what they are never mind testing the unit! The ebul remains untested with a green light flashing once a second, no idea why...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to point out the EBUL only allows calls to EMERGENCY SERVICES (999 or 112 only) during a failure, it is not a backup phone line. Calls are placed via the mobile phone network in the same way that an existing mobile phone will allow your to call emergency services on any available network regardless of which company SIM is installed.

This is to satisfy OFCOM rules on emergency number access. You will in future need a mobile phone to make normal calls in case of power outages whichever provider you are with, as all BT exchange lines will convert to VoIP by 2025.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Note that to stand a chance of your landline working in a power outage you'll need UPS for both the hub 3.0 and the ONT on the exterior wall (which is backpowered from a socket inside the house).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos